• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Measuring alcohol-content, which equation?

Barrel Char Wood Products

henrik.peytz

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2017
So I've gotten into making high abv meads. Up until now I've used the calculator here https://www.brewersfriend.com/abv-calculator/ to calculate the ABV from the gravity change over time. Then I noticed there's also an option for an alternate calculation. The site doesn't really explain why but it mentions that the alternate equation is better at higher ABV's. If I plug in my OG (1.140) and my current gravity (1.022) I get the value of 15,49% for the standard equation and 18,20% for the alternative one, not really a trivial difference.

So which one do I trust? It's a TOSNA-brew (Fermaid O + GoFerm) with Mangrove Jack's M05 Mead Yeast with an alcohol tolerance around 18%

I used http://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/ to calculate the recipe, it seems to use the standard equation.

Any ideas?

rb2112br

Honey Master
Registered Member
Mar 27, 2018
I've always used the formula that came with the hydrometer; (OG - FG)/.776. With your gravity readings, it would come out to 15.2%. I have no idea which measurement would be more accurate though.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Your first number is correct. There is no way ABV can be any different. A point of gravity can only equate to the same amount of alcohol. regardless of whether you chew 20 points or 2000, it won't change.

henrik.peytz

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 25, 2017
Your first number is correct. There is no way ABV can be any different. A point of gravity can only equate to the same amount of alcohol. regardless of whether you chew 20 points or 2000, it won't change.

Makes sense. One glucose-molecule = two ethanol-molecules, there's really no arguing about it. I wonder what they were thinking.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns