FerndalePalooza!30% Off Pairing Mead and Food!

Thread: Tea Bag busted

1. Default Tea Bag busted

i just transferred an Apple Pie Cyser to secondary.. and my tea bag filled with fine ginger and allspice busted. my question is, will the spices drop out over time while i let it clear? if not, will superkleer drop the spices like it does everything else?

I think spices are some of the fastest particulates to fall out of suspension. If you were intending to keep them in for a long time no need to worry. People usually advocate putting spices in bags so you can easily take them out without having to rack. For example, it would be impossible to age on lees and to add spices for a brief period of time (without introducing a lot of air by sieving the spices out) if you don't place spices in a bag
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz

Some powdered spices tend to float on the surface, that's why we recommend using whole spices instead. You might end up having to blot the surface with a clean paper towel.
    Dave from New Haven County

Missed the part about it being fine spice. Never used powdered spices myself. Whole spices also usually taste better
    "Shouldn’t we say wine is a mead-like beverage made with grapes substituted for the honey?" - Steve Piatz