Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Weed in Mead ? Metheglin or Cannabinoidomel

Hello,

with all this talk of marijuana ... has anyone tried to get it into mead?

with the copious amounts that I can buy down the road (appearently legally) ... maybe something to try.

-Trenchie

-edit ... or tetrahydromel ? tetrahydocannabinoidomel ?

Yes they have.
    No we canít talk about it (historically).
    It would be a metheglin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Better brewing through science!

Just so you know. They (the bigger ones) don't take it in competitions.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

4. Default

Well, that just got quickly uncomfortable.

I guess better to keep it underground. "don't ask don't tell"

-T

Quote Originally Posted by Trenchie View Post
    Well, that just got quickly uncomfortable.

I guess better to keep it underground. "don't ask don't tell"

-T
    Oh, I don't care. Whatever floats your boat. I was just saying competitions don't allow it. That's all. Carry on

6. Default

Alright ... then like any other "methiglyn" ... there are advantageous timess and proccesses in the making steps; some better than others, some better at times than others and so forth.

Id think first, I would like to have knowledge of other spice type ingredients that make other metheglins. pirmarily to understand how they go/get into a mead, secondarily to understand how predictably and in which way to get to the best results.

Tertiary, I would like a meed that has the floral overture (in drawing the sample) of our newly exonerated spice. A mouth feel that presents an everescencse of the spice. and of that spice an understanding of it's influence, it's impact, it's magnitude.

So that is what I think we could call a different mead. one based on the understanding of how we apply our current igredients, applied to new reagents.

so let me start with some basic stuff .....

does this work better in fermentation, post fermentation, or as an additive?

Am I talking "Dune" ?

-T

I wasnít trying to make you uncomfortable. I was only stating the previously stated standards.

Personally, I wish you luck. Working with a heat liable, pungent ingredient is difficult. If your state is legal, post your successes!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Better brewing through science!

The active molecule is insoluble in water. I would be surprised to hear that anyone had experienced any psychoactive effects, other than those from ethanol, after ingesting something that is usually 85% or more water, as is mead, infused with said agricultural product. I would imagine the only way to get any of it in there would be to make a tincture and add it after fermentation was complete. My guess is that the stuff would taste pretty foul.

My Social Networking

Follow curgoth On Twitter Add curgoth on Facebook

Also, the active ingredient only comes out after it's been heated ("decarboxylated"), so like in making edibles you'd have to heat it up first to get the good stuff out, then do the infusing. The same stuff binds most enthusiastically with fats, which don't go well into mead. However, I've run across various recipes for infusing it into vodka, so you should be able to get it into your mead - you may have more luck making a high alcohol infusion and using the port making technique to stop fermentation at the desired sweetness.

I don't know enough about the flavour of cannabis to say if it would go well with honey - at a guess, I'd expect it to taste vaguely like a dry-hopped metheglin? You probably want to infuse in secondary, since I'd guess the alcohol has a better chance to pick up the THC/CBD than water at the start.

It doesn't come up a lot here because of the legal issues, especially in the US where GotMead is hosted. If I understand correctly, talking about making a cannabimel/marajuanaglin/whatever we call it is basically still admitting to a Federal crime for Americans, even if it's legal in your state of residence, and for non-Americans it can be grounds for a lifetime ban for travel to the US. I myself haven't tried infusing it yet, but my country recently legalized for recreational use, it so I've been reading up just in case.

10. Default

Yeah, it bothers me that we have such weak legislators for A. not being able to change a simple law B. not having the fortitude to hold governors accountable for the laws they "override". man ... if I was DEA, I'd be arresting every one of these "legal states's" governors until they could get there congress representation to get their act together and represent the people for once, as they are supposed to be doing.

but alas... it's here, it's real, lets understand it. the challange as noted is the lack of water solubility. I think that is a serious limitation in the full effect. but I think we could still get some flavor/nose/mouthfeel. like hops, it has no alchohol % value, it's the flavor we crave.

... now on to some experimentation options. whatever those may be.

You can't arrest someone for not breaking the law!!!!

It's politics. Politicians know what not to do if they want to get re-elected. They know not to anger a large segment of the population in their district. Living in Mississippi as I do, knowing it is about as conservative as it gets, it surprised me to find that cannabis was decriminalized in 1974. Don't quote me on this and I'm just going from memory, but it's my understanding the penalty for possession of 1 oz or less is a fine of $20. Homebrewing, at the same time, was legal for wine, and illegal for beer until 2012. It was widely tolerated just the same. Now if you were to get caught with a still, unless it's for Tung oil, they will put you under the jail forever!

Money is what changes these things. Once there is a whole lot of money that has been made in the quasi legal pot industry it will become at once both completely legal and completely unprofitable for all but the largest and most efficient operators. If I were a pot CEO, I would not push for federal legalization, until I had made all the money I wanted to make in the business.