• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Wild Yeast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Eaving

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2018
Portland, Or.
Ok, so a bit of a question. I work at a grocery store and any time we have soon to be out of date/damaged/sketchy product it gets written off and either given to local shelters to taken home by the staff. I noticed tonight a plastic bottle of honey that was bulging, ie it has some wee beasties growing inside and producing gas. I'm pondering taking it home, mixing it down to get it growng properly and then adding enough honey and water to brew a gallon with whatever yeast its got going on. Having said that I thought I'd ask the more experienced here if there should be any concerns over whatever is growing in it before I get going?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
It might not be yeast. It could be bacteria. I think you will probably be safe. But I wouldn't expect the results to taste very good. I never bother with the wild ones.

Eaving

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2018
Portland, Or.
Thanks for the input, I'll skip trying to play with wild yeast until I've built up a hell of a lot more experience then.

bernardsmith

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Sep 1, 2013
Saratoga Springs , NY
I also would be concerned. If the honey had the normal level of moisture in it then really nothing should be growing in the honey. If the honey was .. um... manufactured in a shop rather than in a hive then the moisture level may be higher and it's possible that there could be pathogens growing. I would always be very wary of any oxygen deprived sealed container that was showing signs of "blowing".

Maylar

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
May 23, 2015
Connecticut
Yeah I agree with Bernard. A sealed jug of honey shouldn't ferment on its own (beekeepers correct me if I'm wrong please).
I have had orchard cider spontaneously ferment however - even in a cold fridge.

Eaving

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2018
Portland, Or.
As I understand it(with the caveat that I could be misinformed) when honey starts to crystalize you are basically forming sugar crystals and freeing up water and can allow fermentation to occur. The specific jar I am talking about is definitely crystalized and has a more fluid layer on top. Its a Madhava Raw honey, I think a relatively decent company. My preference is honey from my hive or purchased from local beekeepers, but free from work I wont turn my nose up at.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
As I understand it(with the caveat that I could be misinformed) when honey starts to crystalize you are basically forming sugar crystals and freeing up water and can allow fermentation to occur. The specific jar I am talking about is definitely crystalized and has a more fluid layer on top. Its a Madhava Raw honey, I think a relatively decent company. My preference is honey from my hive or purchased from local beekeepers, but free from work I wont turn my nose up at.

No that is incorrect. Crystalizing does not leave excess water. I have 5 gallon buckets that have crystalized with no extra water.

edaskew

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 19, 2018
North Carolina and Mississippi
I would not mess with that honey if I were you. First off, there can be botulinum spores in honey. Then, you don't know if that is really pure honey. You might boil the heck out of it, but then there are heat stable enterotoxins produced by certain strains of E. coli that could make you sick anyway. I would play it safe. There's obviously a problem with that honey. Use some other honey.

Eaving

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 27, 2018
Portland, Or.
I wouldn't have asked if I didn't figure you guys had massive amounts more experience than I did. I'd already scrapped the idea of trying to ferment via whatever was growing in it from Squatchy's first response, with the chance of it being bacterial I'll toss it rather than risk it.

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I wouldn't have asked if I didn't figure you guys had massive amounts more experience than I did. I'd already scrapped the idea of trying to ferment via whatever was growing in it from Squatchy's first response, with the chance of it being bacterial I'll toss it rather than risk it.

Rarely do wild yeast make a good mead. Most of the time they crap out at a really low ABV. It really needs to be above 10% before it even begins to become stable. You can never reproduce them. And most of the time they taste like crap and are a waste of honey.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns