Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Fermaid O questions?

i have made my first batch of mead

I used 3 lbs orange blossom honey from Florida
    topped off the carboy to the one gal mark with boiled and cooled water.
    re-hydrated the Lalvin D47, added DAP yeast energizer (1 tsp) from LD Carlsen
    and (1/2 tsp) Fermaid O. pitched at 69 degrees F
    OG was 1.110 @ 69 degrees F (I took this reading prior to pitching, js)
    its been about 1 day so far, and my mead is bubbling quite happily. My question is this;

How much Fermaid O should I feed it, and when, to properly stagger my dosage of nutrients?
    also, what is the best way to deliver said nutrients to the carboy?

thanks in advance!

link related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFlcGGDnyyY

Go to MEADMADERIGHT and follow TOSNA protocol
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    Go to MEADMADERIGHT and follow TOSNA protocol

that was very helpful, and I'm sure i will refer back to it over time,
    but that link did not cover method of delivery.
    As far as this particular part of the question, I'm just looking for advice, not links if possible?
    I have seen quite a few links with different points of view on whats the best way to deliver nutes.
    I am especially interested in members tried and true tips and techniques in this area, if anyone has any to share?

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by NectarPheliac View Post
    what is the best way to deliver said nutrients to the carboy?
    If there is a whole lot of head space, you can measure, wash your hands, then dump it in. It will bubble like crazy unless it's the first addition. If it starts to overflow, cover the top with your hand and slowly let out the gas. If there's little enough headspace that overflow is likely, start by dissolving the nutrients in some water, then add the mix. I don't like to do it this way though, because you lose a bit that sticks to the sides of the cup. Better to just do primary in a big bucket with enough headspace.

So if you do what I do you will never have any problems. Measure your YAN and put it in a glass and add some hot/warm water and stir it up real good. Until it's not lumps and is all dissolved. Now you can just dump it in. It only makes the volcanoes if you add it dry. I add all of my powders this way.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

And if you're doing a small batch and don't want to dilute it with a bit of water, you can save a bit of must and mix the nutrients in that before adding to the carboy. It's only when you add powder to an active ferment with CO2 bubbles that you have to worry about foam-ups. I usually mix my additions in a measured amount of must and keep it in the fridge until needed.
    Dave from New Haven County

My Social Networking

Follow curgoth On Twitter Add curgoth on Facebook

If you draw off a sample to test SG, you can also use some of that to mix with your nutrient before returning the sample to the fermenter.