Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Traditional Mead Question

Howdy Folks,

I posted questions some time ago concerning creating a Cherry Mead for my daughter's wedding which was to take place in 2020. I took your advice to heart and have done much research to formulate said mead however, she and "that fellow she kinda likes a little bit" have decided that since they have been together for five years already why wait. So, without much warning they have decided to get married at the end of July. I have decided that I do not have time to make a test batch of Cherry Mead and then a full batch but I may have time to make a full batch of a Traditional Mead.

What say you all? If I start now will I have time to create a delicious Traditional Meade?

I guess I should add I will use "stepped" nutrient feedings of the yeast as this seems to hurry things along.

If not, all is not lost as I can always make a big batch of JAOM which was a big hit with all their friends.

Thanks
    Last edited by Mead_Monster; 01-07-2019 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add info

So I am doing a presentation at Meadcon in March. And we will only be pitching this Thursday. I'm doing this to not only allow everyone to be able to taste the same mead 15 times. WIth the only difference being the yeast strains. All things the same otherwise. Part of why we are doing it so close to the conference is to give examples to the people who still don't think a good mead can be drinkable in such short order. The Mazer Cup International; is the hardest measured competition in the world. I have won awards there with mead that was three months old.

So is it easy? No. And yes. For the right person. I can teach someone to make mead in a few weeks. Others will never learn regardless of how long the try. Some people are so stupid; they don't even know they are stupid. And some people are soo smart. You can never teach them a thing.

I will help you if you want some guidance. But I will point you to materials that are already available. This way you can gain a foundation that we would build on if you wanted some guidance. I have taken many people who have never done anything better than making total shit. And win medals with the first meads they made under my tutelage. ANd in less time than what you have available to make it for your daughter's wedding.

I can even help you make a cherry mel.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Thanks Squatchy,

I am eager to learn, humble enough to be taught, and just smart enough seek out those who know more than I. After 37 years of serious martial arts study and 22 years of healthcare practice, I still seek out those who know more and are willing to teach.

When and where is Meadcon or are you suggesting something more imminent. My cup is empty.

Thanks Squatchy,

I am eager to learn, humble enough to be taught, and just smart enough seek out those who know more than I. After 37 years of serious martial arts study and 22 years of healthcare practice, I still seek out those who know more and are willing to teach.

When and where is Meadcon or are you suggesting something more imminent. My cup is empty.

well, heck. I just checked. that's only about an hour and a half up 25.

So Meadcom is the American Mead Makers Associations annual get together. It's in March. And it right in front of the greatest Mead only competition in the world in Boulder Colorado. So many of us come to enjoy the AMMA's conference and move straight into the Mazer Cup competition and awards banquet and all of the other good things that happen that week. It's in Boulder Colorado. I'm a board member of the AMMA and am doing this presentation then. I am also a certified mead judge and will volunteer at the competition to help judge the entries. And each year I take home some awards as well. Last year we had a competition points race. We had five predetermined competitions to compete in over the year. We assigned points for each of the different awards you could aquire. ANd then added up the points over then entire five competitions. I came in second place in the competition.

So Here is how I would like to move forward. We have some very good podcast on the Gotmead Life podcast. Look it up, or find it here on the forum. Start on 9 25/17. I walk you through all the steps front to back. Teaching not only how. But more importantly, the why. We do what we do. Once you get that. Contact me, and we can go from there. Also, buy some Mesquite Honey ( 4 pounds a gallon of however many gallons you want to make. Get 2 grams of D21 for every gallon of mead you want to make. Buy some Optiwhite, Optimum white, And some Blanc Soft from "Morewine.com" you only need the small packs of adjuncts and figure how much yeast you need based on volume. If you need more help to get this wired send me mail through here and I will inturn send you my email

Quote Originally Posted by Mead_Monster View Post
    well, heck. I just checked. that's only about an hour and a half up 25.
    I just saw you are in the Springs. I live in Lakewood. Denver suburb. And the Event is in Interlocken. Between Broomfield and Boulder. You can volunteer at Mazer if you want. Or you can just come for the Conference

I also want to invite you to a mead group that gets together in Denver officially once a month. But many of us are good friends and do other things throughout the month as well. Let me know if you're interested. And I will add you to a private FaceBook group

Subscribing to this thread, and starting the podcast (I think this is the series that starts on 9/5/17)? I likely won't be a big mead producer, but I believe in doing things right, or as best I can, and learning from the wisdom of others is the best way to do that. I appreciate your willingness to share your experience with the rest of us. Thank you.

Hey Squatchy I have been all through the Gotmead Live Radio section and can not for the life of me find anything starting on the date you gave. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I did find your list of items to purchase while searching for the podcast you mentioned. I'll be ordering those soon.

Unfortunately I probably won't be able to make the Meadcup this time. With a one man business it is difficult to get away in the middle of the week when I should be seeing patients. Besides cost of admission is just about what my malpractice insurance is and that is due soon.

I am however interested in the group you have going in Denver. What info do you need from me? I'll shoot you an email with what you need. Thanks for the invite.

Hey Squatchy I have been all through the Gotmead Live Radio section and can not for the life of me find anything starting on the date you gave. Am I looking in the wrong place?

I did find your list of items to purchase while searching for the podcast you mentioned. I'll be ordering those soon.
    Here is the link. I'm not sure it will take you top the very page. I copied it from the page that 9/5/17 was on,,,http://gotmead.com/blog/gotmead-live-radio-show/

No, that's probably the right place. There are several pages of podcasts. You need to go towards the bottom of the first page and look for a link to older podcasts. You'll need to do this a couple of times. If you have a smart phone or tablet, they are available on other podcast services, so that you can download and listen to them at your convenience.

Squatchy, just finished Episode 3 where you talk about keeping the must on lees for a month. I've made a bunch of notes, but let me be sure I'm getting a few things straight from the first few episodes so far:

1. Adding Oxygen to the must is good until the 1/3 sugar break. I'll start off with the oxygen stone, then for the first week or so I will aerate while stirring.
    2. Once at the 1/3 sugar break, I won't aerate anymore. From them on it's degassing (stirring without introducing more Oxygen).
    3. My primary fermentation will finish when it finishes according to my hydrometer. But I'll continue to stir each day, to keep things in suspension, even though I won't really be degassing any more since there's no more fermentation going on.
    4. After a month or more, I stop stirring, add Sulfite, 24 hours later add Sorbate, and cold crash. All this is still going on in my primary fermentation vessel.
    5. Once that clears, I rack into carboy for aging and finishing.

Quote Originally Posted by AudioDaddio View Post
    Squatchy, just finished Episode 3 where you talk about keeping the must on lees for a month. I've made a bunch of notes, but let me be sure I'm getting a few things straight from the first few episodes so far:

1. Adding Oxygen to the must is good until the 1/3 sugar break. I'll start off with the oxygen stone, then for the first week or so I will aerate while stirring.
    2. Once at the 1/3 sugar break, I won't aerate anymore. From them on it's degassing (stirring without introducing more Oxygen).
    3. My primary fermentation will finish when it finishes according to my hydrometer. But I'll continue to stir each day, to keep things in suspension, even though I won't really be degassing any more since there's no more fermentation going on.
    4. After a month or more, I stop stirring, add Sulfite, 24 hours later add Sorbate, and cold crash. All this is still going on in my primary fermentation vessel.
    5. Once that clears, I rack into carboy for aging and finishing.
    Great job dude. The only correction. (and I may have decided this after that podcast) I now only add O2 for the first 3 doses on the same feeding schedule as the Fermain-d O. It doesn't have to coexist with the feeding on YAN. But I do it at pitch 12, 24, 36 done
    Last edited by Squatchy; 01-09-2019 at 07:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    Great job dude. The only correction. (and I may have decided this after that podcast) I now only add O2 for the first 3 doses on the same feeding schedule as the Fermain-d O. It doesn't have to coexist with the feeding on YAN. But I do it at pitch 12, 24, 36 done
    Yeah, on the podcast you were doing pitch, 12 and 24, so thanks for the update.

Wow. I was sure I was jumbling some things. Those podcasts are long, but have some great info. Certainly better than what's on the radio while I'm driving. Super stoked about getting started!

Yeah, on the podcast you were doing pitch, 12 and 24, so thanks for the update.

Wow. I was sure I was jumbling some things. Those podcasts are long, but have some great info. Certainly better than what's on the radio while I'm driving. Super stoked about getting started!
    Thanks for the kind words. That schedule will work just ass well. The idea is to get the O2 in before they go anaerobic.

Do when does mead go in bottles? Have I just not gotten that far yet in the series? Do we just use straws from the carboy??

How long after racking do I transfer into bottles?

How long after racking do I transfer into bottles?
    When it is crystal clear, otherwise you will get sediment. Usually months later. Sometimes you will have to rack more than once. And after you have made all the fining and finishing touches. You can add adjuncts to a carboy but not really to a corked bottle. Allow it to bulk-age for best results, rather than aging in the bottles. That's my 2 cents for what it's worth.
    Raisins are NOT nutrients for yeast... but french fries ARE!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast