Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Thread: Newbi recipe

1. Default Newbi recipe

Hi Jericho here
    Iím new to making Mead I would like a recipe for a simple easy to make that will be drinkable.
    Jerico

That’s really not how it works. :-)

Do you know anything about mead making or beer brewing?

If not, read the NewBee guide (link at top of Forum page), check out the Gotmead podcast series, starting on 9/05/2017 and watch the 9 part Mead Methodologies series, by The Canadian Sasquatch, on YouTube.

Once you got that under your belt you’ll have a better idea what you want to do and which questions to ask.

My Social Networking

Add 4give on Facebook

Hi Jerico,
    If you're looking for the most simplistic mead, the one I know of would be a JAO, or JAOM - Joe's Ancient Orange (Mead).
    http://gotmead.com/blog/recipe/joes-...cinnamon-mead/

I'm only on my second round of mead batches, so I don't have a lot of experience. I tried 7, 1 gallon, batches last year (will create a new thread here on those soon). One of those was a JAO. They say if you mess up a JAO, you shouldn't be making mead, but mine didn't turn out well, and I'm glad I tried the other 6 batches. A lot of folks like the JAO, and have good success, so maybe something to try.

You can search for other mead recipes and determine which ones seem simple to you as well.

There are a lot of considerations - too many to dive into in a single post - and I'd encourage you to study up as much as you can. The podcasts on Gotmead are a great primer, and will help you get going.

The community here will respond if you end up with specific questions, and searching for answers on the forum itself may save you a post too.

EDIT/P.S.: I agree with darigoni that the NewBee Guide is well worth the read (I think I read it about 3 times).

Joan is really not that good. It's mostly a novelty. You won't learn anything that applies later on. And modern practices make much better stuff in one quarter of the time. Go listen to the podcast and start on 9/5/17
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

5. Default

Where do I find the pod cast

Quote Originally Posted by Jerico View Post
    Where do I find the pod cast
    Well, the best place is on one of the podcast services, but you can find them here by going to the main page (gotmead.com) and then going to the gotmead live radio page. You’ll then have to scroll back to the earlier podcasts. You’ll want to listen to four podcasts, from 9-5-2017 thru 9-26-2017. They are long (about two hours each), so you may want to take notes. Also, if you know nothing of fermentation, you’ll want to read the NewBee guide first, so you’ll be familiar with the terms.

Here’s a link to the first one:

http://gotmead.com/blog/gotmead-live...-making-yeast/