Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default High alcohol mead tastes hot

I made a batch of cyser that clocks in at 18% (the limit of ec-1118.) and it's quite hot. The alcohol flavor really shines, which is putting quite a damper on my drink in my of it. I plan on storing some away in bottles for extended aging, however...

Would back sweetening with a bit of honey help diffuse the alcohol flavor? I don't want to go crazy with it, but in my 20 gallon batch, maybe a quart ladle or 2 just to even things out? I've scoured the interwebs and have only come up with aging as a reliable option, and the length of time that would take in a best guess between 6 months and a few years. Any help is appreciated

~Andrew

2. Default

Aging, back sweetening, and oak are your best bets.

18% abv is pretty high. I find that alcohol starts to be the main focus of the flavour once you get above about 14%. If you want a more complex flavour and be able to taste the subtlety of a mead I find the sweet spot is 11-13%.

Your mileage may vary.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

You can roll off the edge some by adding Hungarian Oak Med toast, along with backsweetening. I would back sweeten a little bit. Just under what you want it to be. Then add oak for a few months. Then come back and adjust the sweetness level again. It's not worth making high ABV meads. It's not easy at all to get a good balance with flavor profiles and Alcohol.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

4. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Squatchy View Post
    You can roll off the edge some by adding Hungarian Oak Med toast, along with backsweetening. I would back sweeten a little bit. Just under what you want it to be. Then add oak for a few months. Then come back and adjust the sweetness level again. It's not worth making high ABV meads. It's not easy at all to get a good balance with flavor profiles and Alcohol.
    Thanks for the help guys. Squatchy, I'm now realizing, after 4 batches, that super high abv meads aren't worth it. I still enjoy them, but I think I'll switch gears and start making lower abv meads

Quote Originally Posted by Runic View Post
    Thanks for the help guys. Squatchy, I'm now realizing, after 4 batches, that super high abv meads aren't worth it. I still enjoy them, but I think I'll switch gears and start making lower abv meads
    Go learn how to make great traditionals at 11-12%. You will learn more doing that than anything. Nothing can hide in a trad. So when you get that. you will have raised the bar for everything
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Gotta agree with Squatchy. Best to focus on making a good traditional at wine levels of alcohol. If you really want to drink high octane "mead" you could do worse than adding some honey to a glass of vodka or scotch. Add some lemon juice and a splash of water and that's a toddy.. It ain't mead but it's very drinkable and though I don't know your mead , it is almost certainly better than most
    mead made at 18% ABV.

My Social Networking

Add Robert Scogins on Facebook

Although new at mead, I made one at 14%, and it was "warm", but I think that has a good chance of ageing out. Will let everyone know at the 6 month and 1 year mark.

8. Default

I always aim for 12% when trying a new mead. Establish my baseline and adjust as required.

Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

I agree with all the advice above. You might also consider letting it "breathe" before you drink it. Pour it in a glass and let it interact with air for 10-20 minutes. Drink it cold, perhaps with an ice cube.
    Raisins are NOT nutrients for yeast... but french fries ARE!