Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Help figuring out my 1/3 sugar break

Hi, I have my first batch going. I have been researching this for days and am confused. I am not very good at math or soething isn't making sense. My OG was 1.10. Will my 1/3 sugar break be 1.067? Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by deaccat View Post
    Hi, I have my first batch going. I have been researching this for days and am confused. I am not very good at math or soething isn't making sense. My OG was 1.10. Will my 1/3 sugar break be 1.067? Thanks
    Yep that's it
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

what if my starting gravity is higher than the yeast is capable of taking to 1.000? Is 1/3 sugar break measured by total sugar available, or by 1/3 of the yeast potential?

For example, If SG is 1.160 and my yeast tolerance is 14%, is the 1/3 break at 1.107(based on total sugar), or at 1.123(based on yeast potential)?

My Social Networking

Add 4give on Facebook

Hi,
    My understanding is that the 1/3 break is when 1/3 of all the sugars available are consumed (1.107 in your example). It's not based on yeast tolerance. Keep in mind that your advertised yeast tolerance may not be achieved, or may be over-achieved. We're sort of making our yeasties a lot stronger with quality protocols and nutrients, so it's not uncommon to see a 14% yeast yield 15% for example.

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy62 View Post
    what if my starting gravity is higher than the yeast is capable of taking to 1.000? Is 1/3 sugar break measured by total sugar available, or by 1/3 of the yeast potential?

For example, If SG is 1.160 and my yeast tolerance is 14%, is the 1/3 break at 1.107(based on total sugar), or at 1.123(based on yeast potential)?
    That's a great question. In this case, it's not far enough to be overly concerned. Because yeast can no longer assimilate food once they get to 9-10% ABV. You want to pick the one that comes first as a safeguard
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Thank you!