• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

JOAM - How much water in a 5 gallon batch?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Ambassador

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2016
I’m making my second batch of JAOM after having good success with doing a 1 gallon batch last year. This time I scaled it up to 5 gallons. My question is: What is the total volume I’m shooting for when adding water knowing the oranges are displacing a great deal of liquid? I have my 5 gallon batch in a 6.5 gallon carboy and I added water to bring the total volume up to the 5 gallon mark but without the oranges my total liquid is probably 4.5 gallons (estimating.) Joe’s original recipe just said to “bring water to within 3 inches of the top” but obviously this doesn’t apply in my current situation. My current batch has been going for about 2 months and is nice and clear (fruit still floating) so I’m planning on taking a FG today and I’ll be debating on adding water to bring the FG down if need be. Any guidance here?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
You don't need to mess with that. Just put the oranges in and add the water to where you want to have the amount of mead you want. I would water down your first batch either

Robert Scogins

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 29, 2018
Homestead, MT
If you are really concerned about the amount of water displacement, put the oranges in a known amount of water, and see how much volume they displace, and then add that much water to your fermenter if you have room.

Ambassador

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2016
Thanks for the suggestions. What is the average FG for this recipe if directions are followed appropriately? I’ve seen everything from 1.020 to 1.030 on the forums.

Ambassador

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2016
You don't need to mess with that. Just put the oranges in and add the water to where you want to have the amount of mead you want. I would water down your first batch either

Just drew a sample on what is day 60. Gravity is 1.047. Any idea what this should be finishing at Squatchy?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
Just drew a sample on what is day 60. Gravity is 1.047. Any idea what this should be finishing at Squatchy?

Without a gravity reading at the start, it's too hard to say because I don't know how many points you started. I would think it would go to half that lower at least if it was scaled up correctly.

Ambassador

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2016
Without a gravity reading at the start, it's too hard to say because I don't know how many points you started. I would think it would go to half that lower at least if it was scaled up correctly.

I didn't take one due to lots of undissolved honey in the bottom of the carboy. My recipe was just a scaled up version of the original so I used 17.5 pounds of honey for the 5 gallon batch.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH
Bread yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 11 or 12 percent. So, if your honey measurement was accurate, you should have ended up with a final gravity of around 1.037. That’s only a difference of approx. 1.35 lbs of honey. All honey does not have the same sugar content and yeast don’t always behave exactly the way we expect.

It is what it is......

Ambassador

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 8, 2016
Bread yeast has an alcohol tolerance of 11 or 12 percent. So, if your honey measurement was accurate, you should have ended up with a final gravity of around 1.037. That’s only a difference of approx. 1.35 lbs of honey. All honey does not have the same sugar content and yeast don’t always behave exactly the way we expect.

It is what it is......

So you think better off to leave it alone than to try to add water to bring the FG down?

Squatchy

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Nov 3, 2014
Denver
I didn't take one due to lots of undissolved honey in the bottom of the carboy. My recipe was just a scaled up version of the original so I used 17.5 pounds of honey for the 5 gallon batch.

Well, then no one can help you. That's why we dissolve the honey and take a reading.

darigoni

Got Mead? Patron
GotMead Patron
Jun 4, 2016
Brookline, NH

What would be your goal in adding water? Are you looking to just lower the SG or do you want to restart fermentation?

Adding water will not only lower the SG, but will lower the ABV and the mouth feel. There's a good chance that adding water will restart the fermentation, unless you stabilize before doing so.

If you just want to lower the SG: You have 5 gallons of it, so (when it's ready) why don't you get a glass of it, taste it and see if you like it. If you think it's too sweet, add some water and see if you think it's better or worse. If it's better, add a little more water and see where you are headed. If you were in no hurry, you might think about making a one gallon version (JAOM or traditional), not adding the full amount of honey (if a JAOM: 2.4lbs or an SG=1.086), let it ferment dry, and use that instead of water.

Last edited:
Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns