Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Buckwheat dark honey suggestions/recipes

I'm rather new to the mead game, but so far I very much enjoy it! A maintenance guy at my work gave me about a gallon-a gallon and a half of dark buckwheat honey. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions what kind of mead would be good to make with this kind of honey? Would a spiced mead be better or a melomel or something more traditional? If anyone has any related recipes they'd like to share too that would be greatly appreciated! Thanks for any and all help!

2. Default

I would suggest trying a 1 gallon batch of JAOM. I made some a couple months ago with buckwheat honey that was very good. Mind you, it won't help you learn how to make a good mead because it pretty much goes against all of the modern protocols for making mead, but it does make a tasty mead.

I would suggest forgetting JOAM. Usually, new mead makers only make that one time. I would make a trad with it and add prunes, dates, and figs on the back side.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

4. Default

I looked up the JOAM recipe and I dont like the idea of using plain old bread yeast as well as some other aspects of it but I think the flavor profile of it might be good so I looked up the MOAM recipe and it seems much more to my liking so I might try it. Do you have any good recipes for a trad squatchy? Or any links to anything you'd recommend for someone wanting to make one that hasnt? I should have enough honey to make 5 gallons of both.

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...al-by-Squatchy This is a "make along"

the link below is where people are commenting and asking questions about the make along.

http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...ng-by-Squatchy

Quote Originally Posted by Smylle View Post
    I looked up the JOAM recipe and I dont like the idea of using plain old bread yeast as well as some other aspects of it but I think the flavor profile of it might be good so I looked up the MOAM recipe and it seems much more to my liking so I might try it. Do you have any good recipes for a trad squatchy? Or any links to anything you'd recommend for someone wanting to make one that hasnt? I should have enough honey to make 5 gallons of both.
    Use K1V and DV10

7. Default

Thanks a bunch squatchy! I'll look through it all and try to follow along.

8. Default

I did some late season buckwheat honey and it's not all backside and figgy-pruning. any flavor modifications can only help it (the honey I had anyways). The buckwheat honey likely has a deeply "uric" flavor. please consider the honey as it tastes before you mead-make it. if you don't like it before you may find you don't like it after, even with additives. flavoring buckwheat will take a reasonable exercise of experience and understanding of how to implement your personal flavor (go with Squatchy's suggestion). However, if you do a good job, on the results end of the process, your mead will reflect the taste of the honey you put into it, buckwheat can be very full flavored.

-T
    Last edited by Trenchie; 02-07-2019 at 10:30 PM.

There are also 2 different "buckwheat". Eastern and western. Western is much less offensive.