Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
  1. Default Will an Immersion Blender Kill My Yeast

Odd question: I am degassing my must by whipping it with an immersion blender. I'm sure that whatever yeast lie in the path of the blades will be slaughtered. The question is how much of it comes in contact with the blades. I used to use a wire whip.

Does anyone else use an immersion blender?

What's wrong with a hand tool or sorts? Spoon, paddle?
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

3. Default

Less effective. The (motorized) wire whip and the blender really gets the CO2 out. I've used the wire whip a lot, so if it harms the yeast, I can't tell.

My Social Networking

Add Robert Scogins on Facebook

I seriously doubt if you are going to kill the yeast with the blender, but it seems like overkill for degassing. But on the other hand, it is probably an excellent way to aerate the must, initially.

I agree with Robert.

I'm not sure about your reply about "less effective." Yes, of course, the motorized one is more aggressive. But there is no need to degass at all. You can just leave it alone forever and nothing will be different at the end of the day. It helps to reduce feeding volcanoes. And a mead won't drop out clear very well if it is still CO2 in suspension. But again those are not something the yeast demand. It's more for our benefit. So while the electric motor does a better job, it's only do ing a better job at something that isn't needed.

6. Default

I had no idea that was the case. I had heard that releasing the CO2 allows a more beneficial PH. I would prefer not to do it at all. Oxygenating with a stone also releases CO2. I will try just doing that and see how it works.

Thanks!

The stone is only a good idea the first week. Once the yeast go anaerobic they don't assimilate O2 and more. And then you will be oxidizing it

8. Default

Understood. Thanks!

I wouldn't worry: the yeast cells are very small, that blender blade will look more like a wall moving slowly to them; there will be some damage (cells crushed, fast moving things in liquids tend to cause cavitation and the ensuing shockwaves will destroy a few more), but compared to the total number of cells it will be insignificant: typical dried yeast numbers are along the lines of 10^10 viable cells/gram, you're pitching several tens of billions and they multiply to at least thousands or of times that amount.

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

A hand blender won’t hurt the yeast.
    But beyond one or two aerations it won’t really help a mead either.
    De-gassing has minimal impact on pH and minimal impact on yeast performance.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)