• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Fruit in the secondary...

Barrel Char Wood Products

midnightrackin

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 2, 2017
It’s been a number of years since I’ve made mead and after tasting a trad. made with wildflower that I made several years ago, I’ve decided to get back into it.

So I loosely followed a Curt Stock Triple Berry recipe, I’ve added some blackberries in secondary to up the flavor.

1. My question is should the berries be simply placed in secondary and then racked over or should they be mashed beforehand. (They we’re frozen and then added after dethaw.)

2. Is two weeks enough contact time?

3. I’ve read that headspace with mead over a short period of time will not oxidixe the Mead; is that correct?

4. Should I be stirring during this time or just allow it to settle and blend on its own?

This site and the podcasts have been a great wealth of knowledge and I appreciate any advice you can offer.

4give

Honey Master
Registered Member
Jan 1, 2018
Montrose, CO
Hi - for what it's worth, my 4 cents ;):
1 - Frozen is good, and I usually gently break some of the skin. I don't mash, just squish a little.
2 - 2 weeks should be fine, but it's really up to you and your taste. I personally try to stick with 2-3 weeks with fruit - no more.
3 - My understanding confirms what you're saying, but if you have a lot of head space, I'd still have it under an airlock and not open-air.
4 - If you don't have any yeast lees, then I'd only manage the cap a little bit - just gently pushing down the fruit when needed so it doesn't crust over and lend itself to getting mold on top.
Enjoy!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns