Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default Brother Adam and specific gravity

Hello,

Pretty new to making mead... first batch is well on its way and looking okay.
    I started exploring a bit more to be able to start a second batch and came across “the art of making mead” by brother Adam. He discusses the proportion of honey to water and provides a table with specific gravity for different honey/gall concentrations. However the numbers he gives are a lot different from the other specific gravity numbers I found in for example Ken Schramm’s book.
    Brother Adam’s table says 3lb of honey per gallon will give a specific gravity of 1.075 before adding yeast. While most numbers I find elsewhere are around 1.105.
    Can anyone explain this as I would like to try some of his recipes especially his sparkling mead...

Thanks!

The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida

I’d have to review the reference, but if you are adding 3 pounds + 1 gallon of water, (with a total volume of about 1.25 gal) you’ll be close to that and with some honey, you might hit that exactly.

If you are adding 3 pounds plus enough water to make a gallon, you’ll be close to 1.105.

This Thread on Brother Adam is worth checking. http://www.gotmead.com/forum/showthr...er-Adam-s-mead
    He was recommending 1.25 Kg added to 5L water which would give a gravity a bit below 1.080.
    Last edited by Medsen Fey; 03-17-2019 at 08:42 PM.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)