Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!
Results 1 to 6 of 6
  1. #1

    Default DAP to Fermaid K proportion

    Hello!
    I was was wondering what is the recommended proportion of YAN from DAP to Fermaid K? I see some sources say to use 30% of YAN from DAP and 70% Fermaid K. Then I see TOSNA calculator, give additions based on 20% Fermaid K and 80% DAP, which seems completely opposite. Any advice? Any benefit to using more Fermaid K instead of DAP? I'm looking for optimizing speed of fermentation rather than cleanliness of the taste.
    Last edited by BeerHog; 04-12-2019 at 04:33 PM.

  2. #2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerHog View Post
    Hello!
    I was was wondering what is the recommended proportion of YAN from DAP to Fermaid K? I see some sources say to use 30% of YAN from DAP and 70% Fermaid K. Then I see TOSNA calculator, give additions based on 20% Fermaid K and 80% DAP, which seems completely opposite. Any advice? Any benefit to using more Fermaid K instead of DAP? I'm looking for optimizing speed of fermentation rather than cleanliness of the taste.
    Why would you want to make a crappy tasting mead in exchange for speed? This makes zero sense to me. The most a big (huge) gravity mead takes to make is a month. A shitty tasting mead can take years to get only somewhat better. What's your desired intentions?
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

  3. #3

    Default

    You mean crappy by how much? Can you really tell the difference, provided DAP is not overused? I just want to see how mead does supplemented with DAP & Fermaid K vs Fermaid O alone. I'm not a proffesional taster of mead, I may not even notice the difference if it is not big.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeerHog View Post
    You mean crappy by how much? Can you really tell the difference, provided DAP is not overused? I just want to see how mead does supplemented with DAP & Fermaid K vs Fermaid O alone. I'm not a proffesional taster of mead, I may not even notice the difference if it is not big.
    http://www.meadmakr.com/batch-buildr/


    Here is a tool with a choice of 3 different nutrient regimes.


    I think it is 20% K to 80% DAP to remain under US limits for Thiamine

    Sent from my SM-A520W using Tapatalk

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    The Fusel Shack, in the swamp west of Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
    Posts
    8,764

    Default

    Frankly I’d use 100% Fermaid K and 0% DAP, and I’d only do that if aiming for a high ABV sack mead.

    Otherwise, I prefer all-amino-nitrogen for my batches (Fermaid O). I find it produces cleaner, nicer results just as quickly.
    Lanne pase toujou pi bon
    (Past years are always better)

  6. #6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Medsen Fey View Post
    Frankly I’d use 100% Fermaid K and 0% DAP, and I’d only do that if aiming for a high ABV sack mead.

    Otherwise, I prefer all-amino-nitrogen for my batches (Fermaid O). I find it produces cleaner, nicer results just as quickly.
    Most of the better mead makers think the same thing as you and I Medsen. I stopped using DAP when Fermaid-O was released on the market. I have a lot of good friends that win awards all the time that use DAP. But they don't use much. I think the ones that do use DAP uses just a little bit in the first dose.
    7 out of 4 people have a hard time using their hydrometer!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •