• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

carboy's

Barrel Char Wood Products
U

uadien

where can i buy one, or is there a webpage on how to make them?

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Carboys are nothing more than a name for plastic or glass containers that are used to carry liquids. Glass is best for meadmaking. You can get them from any brewing shop listed in your yellow pages or even at an Old Time Pottery store. Here is a supplier on the internet with pictures and carboys available from 1 gallon to 6.5 gal size.
http://www.leeners.com/ferment1.html
Joe

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
First you need to decide if you are going to do 1 gallon batches (to start out) which are cheaper or 5 gallon batches, which is the size most home brewers and meadmakers use. Since 5 gallon carboys are so commonly used, most recipes you find will have 5 gallon batches in mind. Of course, you can always use less ingredients for a one gallon batch.

Unless you can blow glass, you can't make one. You could make a primary fermenter (what the mead will be in when it starts) out of a plastic bucket, but eventually you will need to transfer to a glass carboy anyway.

For the whole process, you will need 2 carboys. Search the yellow pages in your area for a brew shop for a carboy. You will be glad you did, and the brew shop guys are always willing to answer any questions.

If you don't have a brew shop in your area, try buying a carboy online here http://morebeer.com/

I recommend you do 1 gallon batches to start out. If the batch goes bad, better it be a gallon of ingredients going to waste then 5 gallons. On the other hand, many meadmakers recommend against 1 gallon batches because if you have a batch aging for 6 months and then you drink it, you will be dissapointed at how fast a gallon can go.

Personally I'm still a newbie and I've only done 1 gallon batches for learning purposes and because I don't yet have room for a couple of 5 gallon carboys.

Of course you could also take the middle ground and get a 3 gallon carboy or something. ;)

U

uadien

another question for Jmattioli, are the kit's they sell worth it?
im still very new to all of this.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
You can also keep an eye out at yard sales, garage sales, etc. for carboys. You can get them cheap, and if you luck in to some of the older bottles you'll find that they're thicker and better made.

Many of the carboys for sale in the different internets sites are made in Mexico and will do just fine, but they are much less substantial than the older "sparkletts" style bottles.

In my opinion I'm not a real fan of mead kits, unless the basic hardware you need (fermentation bucket, brushes, carboy, airlocks, etc.) are included. JMHO.

Oskaar

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
another question for Jmattioli, are the kit's they sell worth it?
im still very new to all of this.
As Oskaar suggested in a post to another person starting out, it would be a good idea to first invest in a book like Ken Schramm's "Compleat MeadMaker" . I am certain you will enjoy it immensely and find it will save you a lot of time and money in the long run. He will give you suggestions on putting together your own kit. For example if you chose a Cyser for your first mead you can buy your apple juice or cider in 1 gallon jugs and use them for a carboy. You can purchase airlocks for under a dollar. His books will give you the basics to be able to ask the right questions or use your own imagination to experiment or improvise without creating a disaster. Best of Luck in your new hobby. You will find all the meadmakers here are more than willing to assist in anyway they can.
Joe

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I just lucked into some more carboys. My dad found another garage sale. This time I was able to get 24 of them for a total of $8.

Mostly they were the 6.5 gallon size but there were like three or five of the five gallon size.

I'm telling you folks, check the yard sales and garage sales.

You'll be surprized how many people have these things. Here's the kicker, this guy's neighbor down the street has some too, I don't know how many, or what the price will be, but at 50 cents or a buck a crack, it's a great deal.

Oskaar

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
I just obtained my second carboy. Our local gourmet grocery store carries a wonderful-looking apple juice in gallon jugs. All I have to do is empty this one, clean them both, and get the rest of my supplies. Won't be long now.

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
Hate do beat a dead horse (any idea where that term came from?), but if you're in New York State (or don't mind driving), we scored a big haul from a foreclosure auction. I have 100+ (5 gallon) carboys we can spare @ cost (around 2 or 3 dollars a piece). Your welcome to them, sorry we don't deliver, but I'm sure something could be worked out (if need be). :)

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Lagerman64 said:
Hate do beat a dead horse (any idea where that term came from?), but if you're in New York State (or don't mind driving), we scored a big haul from a foreclosure auction. I have 100+ (5 gallon) carboys we can spare @ cost (around 2 or 3 dollars a piece). Your welcome to them, sorry we don't deliver, but I'm sure something could be worked out (if need be). :)
You didn't say if they were glass or plastic. ??? That's pretty important for that price. Glass is definitely worth the drive for quanitity.
Joe

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Well guys, I finally did it. I've decided to move on to something bigger than a few 1 gallon jugs. :eek: ;D

Checked craigslist.com and picked up a couple of 6.5 gallon carboys for $25. I'm sure Oskaar could get them cheaper, but it is a steal considering the brew shop charges $20 for a 5 gallon carboy.

Also surprised to find out the guy I got them from is really in to meadmaking too! ;D

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns