• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Gonna be judging at MeadFest!!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OMIGOD!!! Ray Daniels e'd me yesterday and asked me to judge, and Julia at Redstone asked me today! I'm flippin out here! Now I have to go and read *everything* I can get on judging, to make sure I'm worthy!

Vicky - in mild panic mode now

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Thanks guys! But i'm not all that and a bag of chips. I'm just another mead maker, not even particularly good. I'm just a pack rat who put her stash up on the web......

Vicky - finishing ticket booking and stuff for the Fest

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
;D
Congrats!!! Let me see if you are qualified.
Do you...
...drink Mead? check!
...have an opinion? check!
...be willing to share said opinion? double check!

ding ding ding! Vicky is quite qualified indeed!!!

Let us know how it goes and, more importantly, how we can get a hold of the best meads! ;)

Have fun!
GntlKnght

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Do you need any assistant judges? I mean, that's an awful lot of mead for just one person to handle on their own. LOL

Seriously though, if you need any reference material let me know, I have some stuff that may be helpful.

Oskaar ;)

Suzy_Q_Brewmistres

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 18, 2004
Congrats Vicky....

Do us proud... you can't do anything less. And have fun while you are there. Take notes and share your adventure with us when you get home.

:-*Suzy Q Brewmistress

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Thanks for the support, y'all! This one is judging for commercial meads, so I've an unparalleled opportunity to taste and compare the nations finest commercially sold meads.

The cool thing is, I'll be able to come back here and do a write up on both the festival itself, and what I thought of the meads I taste. I'm also going to the open tastings, so I'll get to actually *swallow* some of them! At the judging you can't do that, or you'll be trashed before you're done!

Anyone who has good info on judging (thanks for yours Pewter, I'm reading it now -- and linking it on Gotmead for future judges), please put it up here. I'll collect them for me, and create a new judging section on Gotmead for others who might end up where I'm at, either in a homebrew or commercial contest.

Thanks again for all y'all's support, and I'll take lots of pix and a few short videos at the show, and do a detailed write up on everything I see!

Vicky - really getting excited now

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Here's a link to the "Treatise on Judging Mead" page by Michael L. Hall:

http://hbd.org/atommash/hall/mead_judging.pdf

Here's some info from Mead Made Complicated:

http://www.meadmadecomplicated.org/mead_tasting/tasting.html

I also have the tech sheets from the American Homebrewer's Fetstival 1993 section on Mead, types of mead, scoring, flavors etc.

The BJCP is pretty much a reprint of that. There is some controversy out there about the BJCP and it's value to mead, but I don't know enough about the players or issues involved to really dive into it.

Cheers,

Oskaar

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
I've read the BJCP guidelines for mead, they strike me as utterly useless.

Since we're on the subject of judging, I'd like to point out what I feel is a major issue in mead competitions. The categories are too broad, there are simply not enough styles for fair judging. For example, look at melomels. How can you compare a cherry melomel to a strawberry or a mixed-fruit? The same can be said for every other style of mead. My braggot certainly won't taste like one made with a different honey and malt, how could somebody say one was better than the other? I think these competitions have to narrow the categories quite a bit to make it fair. Look at beer, tons of different styles, some quite similar to each other. I know you can't define every possible style, but you should be able to give enough options so that we aren't literally comparing apples to oranges. The styles could still be broad enough to allow for experimentation.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
How can you compare a cherry melomel to a strawberry or a mixed-fruit? The same can be said for every other style of mead.
Real easy Wikd, Just taste them. They aren't rated on whether the judge likes cherry better than strawberry. They are rated on how the fruit character came through irregardless of the fruit. That along with other charcteristics like balance etc.. that make no difference whether considering one fruit or the other. An experienced judge knows a good melomel from a bad or mediocre one.
Joe

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Real easy Wikd, Just taste them. They aren't rated on whether the judge likes cherry better than strawberry. They are rated on how the fruit character came through irregardless of the fruit. That along with other charcteristics like balance etc.. that make no difference whether considering one fruit or the other. An experienced judge knows a good melomel from a bad or mediocre one.
Joe
Then why categorize at all? Just judge mead based on how it's designed characteristics come through. Lump them all together and declare a single winner.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
OMIGOD!!! Ray Daniels e'd me yesterday and asked me to judge, and Julia at Redstone asked me today! I'm flippin out here! Now I have to go and read *everything* I can get on judging, to make sure I'm worthy!

Vicky - in mild panic mode now

Hi Vicky --

Congrats on joining the judging panel! Dick Dunn might be at the meadfest this year and may be judging. You're going to have a good time!

I'll be out there also -- I'm scheduled to give the history presentation on Friday. Looking forward to seeing you there.

-- Dan M.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
RAT SALAD!

I'm gonna miss that history presentation! I would actually stay out of the mead so I was lucid for Dan's address. I hope someone will be able to attend.

Oskaar

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Something else that will be happening at this year's Meadfest is the formation of the mead organization that folk have been waiting for, ever since the demise of the American Mead Association. The name will be the International Mead Association. The meeting will be Saturday 12:30 to 3:00 pm.

It's still too new to have any idea what directions the IMA will be taking but I think we can predict great things for it once it begins to pick up steam.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Cool, Dan! Now we can finally get some time to talk that isn't standing around in a mall parking lot off the interstate! I'll look forward to seeing you, and hearing your presentation!

I'm also looking forward to the IMA info. I'm really glad that we're putting that back together, and hope I'll be able to participate in some way.....

Vicky - studying, and working on which talks I need to attend most

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns