Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Members list

1. Default Members list

I was wondering if it is possible to display members sorted by location?? This might help boost contacts?

Default Re: Members list

I'll look into it. Seems I found a mapping add on for the forum at one time.....
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

Any update on adding a members list search? The last note here was 9 months ago...

Just a piece of news, most people don't give their location when they join our forum... makes it hard to know who's near you with out a lot discussion time on the forum.

WRATHWILDE

Interesting. I wonder why? Nevertheless, a member search function would be nice. Out of the 8 forums I frequent, this is the only one that does not offer that capability...

Interestingly enough, I did enter my state into the location field but it does not show-up. I didn't see any other profile setting I needed to change to have it displayed so I'm wondering if there's a software problem...?

If you click on the view profile button yours is it's there as NJ.

Wrathwilde

I see. That's different from what I'm used to seeing. On the other forums once you enter a location it shows up below the member's name & avatar. No need to press View Profile - something new...

Wrath,

What do you mean by a member search function? Do you mean searching for individual member profiles? Because that we do have on the main Forum page.

-David

9. Default Re: Members list

David,

I think he's talking about a geographic search, so that folks might have the opportunity to find each other IRL. Of course, there are legitimate privacy concerns, so I'm sure that's what Wrathwilde was talking about...

No, what I'm referring to is a member name list search. Many other forums have a "Members" link on the major forum pages that allow a person to display a list of forum members that can be sorted by such parameters as Board member category, Post count, et. al. Some forum software provides a more powerful search where you can enter the first few letters of a name, e.g. stev and it will display a filter list of members whose screen names begin with "stev"...

An example of this search feature is shown here: http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?act=Members

Pawn Gotmead Visitor

Yup for steve you have to click on the "s", and click on the member names individually for the profile, I noticed this when I joined the forum, I always like to search through the members by location to see if there are any local brewers around.

The pm, and reply boxes behave like VI or whatever that unix prog was(spelling editor) but Im getting more used to it, don't make as many errors on this board

Maybe theres an addon available?
    Cheers...John

P.S. Welcome High test

Quote Originally Posted by Pawn
    P.S. Welcome High test
    Thanks John...

13. Default Re: Members list

High-Test,
    Welcome to our little corner of the internet.
    I saw your name- at least i think it was you -on another board, we are looking forward to your ideas and advice, you seem to have a lot of experience with the brewing "arts".
    Enjoy,
    Ted

Thank you! Yes, I am he... You're the second person to have recognized my screen name on an 'outside' forum.

I am also registered at the Northern Brewer, WinePress, and HomeBrew Adventures forums. However, I tend to stay more in the background on forums that I do not moderate, and often use hyperlinks in my comments - I hate to repeat myself (poor typist... )

Pawn Gotmead Visitor

Yup your not going to be able to hide here

Im heLLbent in northern brewer, gluglug in homebrew adventures, been watching the ABC Cyser, looks a bit sweet for my tastes, and a bit hot for the wife, I have made a few pretty decent batches of hard cider thanks to your informative post's, I am always looking for more info/cider forums, best to yah...John

Welcome, HiTest.

Your point is well taken with a member search. I'll add it to the list of stuff I intend to do with the forum. I'm finishing up a work project that is eating most of my time (which was back-to-back with one before it which consumed me since November!), and hope to soon be able to devote all my time to Gotmead. I'll be expanding, improving and re-configuring the forums as part of that, so I'll add your suggestions to the list.

One of the add-ons I'd planned to implement was a mapping mod that will show all the members geographically, as well as a search.

Vicky - hoping to finish the Redstone project this week or next
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

OK, I went in to add the mapping function, and got an error. I believe I've a piece of bad code in the forum software, and will need to re-install the forum itself to get it back to a 'pristine' state code-wise. This is also why the chat room is dysfunctional. I'll schedule a time to do this, and announce to y'all when I plan to take it down so I can do this.

Sorry guys, one of the mods I made must have corrupted something in the external code. We'll get it fixed and start putting on some new toys, hopefully either later this week, or right after the holiday weekend.

Vicky
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

People on mead should not code forums! LOL

So, anything you need help with? Lemme know!

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Vicky, thank you...

No worries. As it turns out, my plans to attend the MD Renaissance Festival have been de-railed by the failure of a bonus check to arrive on time (we're already formulating a plan to visit a horrible death on the company accountants), and the lack of a pet sitter (we've 4 dogs, 2 cats and 2 horses) when our usual sitter reneged after agreeing to watch them for us.

Sooooooooooo, long story short, I'm home over Labor Day weekend, mores the pity, and should have some time to play with the forum and try to get it tweaked back into shape.

Vicky
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast