Thread: Spell checker

1. Default Spell checker

Hi all,

Just made my first posting - yipee - can't find a spell checker.

This is going to be a problem for me because between my bad typing and worse spelling my posts are going to look like the ramblings of a dyslexic (well that's probably exactly what they are!).

Is there any option to spell check prior to posting, or do I need to prepare in word and cut 'n paste into the forum thingy??

Default Re: Spell checker

A spell checker would chew a lot of resource on the server-side, and if there isn't a plug-in or add-in/extension already available for the YABB application it's too much trouble to write a spell checker when there are other resources with better core competancy.

For example, you might try typing your posts in Microsoft Word, or another document editor on your PC, and then run the spell check. Once you've done that you can copy and paste your posts into the Message box free of spelling errors.

cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

3. Default Re: Spell checker

Oskaar,

Thanks for this - agreed I'll use word, at least that is all client side processing.

Cheers,
    PeterS

4. Default Re: Spell checker

If you use Firefox, there is an extension called Spellbound at http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/index.html#header which I use all the time. I just click a button on my toolbar and it spellchecks the active text entry widget. It uses the normal Mozilla spellcheck just like what is in their mail client with a personal dictionary and other standard features.

If you use Firefox I suggest checking it out, of course if you don't use Firefox I strongly suggest checking that out too at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/.

-jb

Great tip Jab!

I use Firefox, it ROCKS OUT LOUD! I'll check out the extension for spelling. I'm using a number of the other extensions too.

Are you using Thunderbird? It's a very cool SMTP client!

Cheers,

Oskaar

6. Default Re: Spell checker

Absolutely! TB and FF are quite the combination. I am still a bit annoyed I can't get links in an email in TB to open correctly in FF (they will open but it opens a locally cached copy of the page instead of what the link was actually pointed to) but by and large the best browser and email client out there.

BTW, should we ever meet I think I will be rather disappointed if you don't look like Gollum. I've gotten quite used to the association.

-jb

I played with FireFox, and TB, and thought they were great, right up until TB started gathering mail, and kept telling me I had '8 new messages', but I couldn't find them anywhere, not in any of my main or sub folders. Not sure if it was just confused, or if it disappeared mail, but I'm backing off to Mozilla and Outlook until I'm sure it won't do that again. Frankly, I'd like nothing better than to get off Outlook, but until I get something that is rock solid reliable (my life is in my email, because of the type of work I do when I'm working), I'll leave it sit....

Vicky - wondering why I couldn't get into the site for 10 minutes just after midnight....
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

8. Default Re: Spell checker

How long ago did you play with TB? I had problems with it about 8 months back and gave up on it too, the recent versions seem pretty solid to me. Though if you have any doubts I would wait for TB 1.0 which shouldn't be too far away.

-jb

I was messing with it last week. I had planned on waiting for 1.0......
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

TB does have some odd little quirks, but the remote gif/image blocker and the heuristic logic for junk email is pretty near brilliant.

I'm working around that one outgoing smtp address thing which is a pain in the neck for folks like me with a ton of email addresses from different smtp servers.

Oskaar - also wondering what was up with the slow response time just after midnight!

I checked with the Internet Traffic Report at http://www.internettrafficreport.com/ and they were showing several main routers down around the continent (North America), with traffic losing a lot of packets. One was in Florida, which is where my server is, so that could have been it. I couldn't even reach the hosting company I use, and thats unusual.

Heck, even during the triple threat this summer when they got whacked with all the hurricanes, they never lost a packet. This is weird.

Vicky - figuring I ought to go to bed now that I spent the better part of the night re-writing the front page code.....
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Making Mead since 1995

12. Default Re: Spell checker

Hey thanks all for the input.

I'm going with the firefox suggestion - pretty cool to.

I'm a mac user but firefox works like a charm for me.

Cheers,
    PeterS