• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Spell checker

Barrel Char Wood Products

PSanderson

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2004
Hi all,

Just made my first posting - yipee - can't find a spell checker.

This is going to be a problem for me because between my bad typing and worse spelling my posts are going to look like the ramblings of a dyslexic (well that's probably exactly what they are!).

Is there any option to spell check prior to posting, or do I need to prepare in word and cut 'n paste into the forum thingy??

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
A spell checker would chew a lot of resource on the server-side, and if there isn't a plug-in or add-in/extension already available for the YABB application it's too much trouble to write a spell checker when there are other resources with better core competancy.

For example, you might try typing your posts in Microsoft Word, or another document editor on your PC, and then run the spell check. Once you've done that you can copy and paste your posts into the Message box free of spelling errors.

cheers,

Oskaar

PSanderson

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2004
Oskaar,

Thanks for this - agreed I'll use word, at least that is all client side processing.

Cheers,
PeterS

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
If you use Firefox, there is an extension called Spellbound at http://spellbound.sourceforge.net/index.html#header which I use all the time. I just click a button on my toolbar and it spellchecks the active text entry widget. It uses the normal Mozilla spellcheck just like what is in their mail client with a personal dictionary and other standard features.

If you use Firefox I suggest checking it out, of course if you don't use Firefox I strongly suggest checking that out too at http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/.

-jb

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Great tip Jab!

I use Firefox, it ROCKS OUT LOUD! I'll check out the extension for spelling. I'm using a number of the other extensions too.

Are you using Thunderbird? It's a very cool SMTP client!

Cheers,

Oskaar

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Absolutely! TB and FF are quite the combination. I am still a bit annoyed I can't get links in an email in TB to open correctly in FF (they will open but it opens a locally cached copy of the page instead of what the link was actually pointed to) but by and large the best browser and email client out there.

BTW, should we ever meet I think I will be rather disappointed if you don't look like Gollum. I've gotten quite used to the association. ;)

-jb

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I played with FireFox, and TB, and thought they were great, right up until TB started gathering mail, and kept telling me I had '8 new messages', but I couldn't find them anywhere, not in any of my main or sub folders. Not sure if it was just confused, or if it disappeared mail, but I'm backing off to Mozilla and Outlook until I'm sure it won't do that again. Frankly, I'd like nothing better than to get off Outlook, but until I get something that is rock solid reliable (my life is in my email, because of the type of work I do when I'm working), I'll leave it sit....

Vicky - wondering why I couldn't get into the site for 10 minutes just after midnight....

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
How long ago did you play with TB? I had problems with it about 8 months back and gave up on it too, the recent versions seem pretty solid to me. Though if you have any doubts I would wait for TB 1.0 which shouldn't be too far away.

-jb

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
TB does have some odd little quirks, but the remote gif/image blocker and the heuristic logic for junk email is pretty near brilliant.

I'm working around that one outgoing smtp address thing which is a pain in the neck for folks like me with a ton of email addresses from different smtp servers.

Oskaar - also wondering what was up with the slow response time just after midnight!

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I checked with the Internet Traffic Report at http://www.internettrafficreport.com/ and they were showing several main routers down around the continent (North America), with traffic losing a lot of packets. One was in Florida, which is where my server is, so that could have been it. I couldn't even reach the hosting company I use, and thats unusual.

Heck, even during the triple threat this summer when they got whacked with all the hurricanes, they never lost a packet. This is weird.

Vicky - figuring I ought to go to bed now that I spent the better part of the night re-writing the front page code.....

PSanderson

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 19, 2004
Hey thanks all for the input.

I'm going with the firefox suggestion - pretty cool to.

I'm a mac user but firefox works like a charm for me.

Cheers,
PeterS

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns