• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Meadfest needs video of festival

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hi Guys,

Did you take video at the mead festival?

The Food Network has requested footage from the MeadFest for a show on honey for their series “Secret Life of Food”.

The Redstone folk didn't get any, they were buried. If you have video of the MeadFest, your footage will be on TV! Drop me an email asap if you can help.

Vicky

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Will Paris Hilton be involved in any way?? Enquiring minds want to know! LOL

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
That was Julia. Unfortunately, she was so busy during the open periods that she didn't get video of the rest.....

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
Well this is not about video of the festival. But I just finished watching the seceret life of honey program on the food network. No mention of the meadfest. But a small portion of the program was about mead. So here is my review for those who didn't catch it.

Well of course I poured myself a glass of mead to watch.
As a mazer for 4 years and a beekeeper of almost 1 year. Wow did i want to strangle the host!!!! ;D
That guy was a dope when they took him to the apiaries. But I did learn one fact about honey from the show i did not know.
Did you know that they used to use honey as anti freeze in cars???
I found that rather intresting.
Most of the rest of the honey facts were pretty well known to an experineced mead maker such as us here at the forum. Not much new but the anti frezee part.

For the mead part of the show . About 5 minutes of a half hour program. They went to Burget winery I believe was the name of it. The producer of Chaucer's mead. It was very superficial to say the least. The host only tasted warm chaucers with the spice packet added. Which I know most here don't like chaucers, but I do. Though I haven't had it spiced. They did have a quick run through of mead production. I believe they ferment 4000 gallon batches. Not sure I was so busy looking at the meadry rather then listening to the fool host.

They then went onto varital honeys and then to a large bee keeping area in British Columbia. With a giant bee statue where they produce 10,000,000lbs of honey a year! Or vice versa still working on my mead as I type.

Then onto a bee festival in Georgia.

To sum up the show. Well I guess I did that but.
1. For experinced mazers. Don't lose sleep if you missed it.
2. For Newbs. Its worth watching. I guess???? You probably already learned more from the forum!
3. For the beekeepers out there. It was ridiculous!
4. For the masses it was probably pretty informative. Though I wish they spent more time on the historical aspect of honey and mead and its importance to mankind.

But the positive of this show was that, however many people watched it. I'm sure that most of the viewers had never heard of mead and the word has gotten out.

The biggest bummer was no mention of the meadfest, which after this intial post was why I was watching.

Oh well, at least there is always next year to get meadfest some national exposure!

Michael_Ng

Premium Patron
Premium Patron
Dec 9, 2004
www.kwmeads.com
I just caught this episode earlier tonight too. ;D

Bargetto makes Chaucers; and I heard the same about the size of their batches.

If I remember correctly, John Bargetto mentioned that Chaucers was aged for fermented for 6 months or so depending on how cooperative the yeast is. (Then aged for a year, did I hear that right?) Strange considering the conversation on here in the past about aging Chaucers and my personal experience with a 2-year-old bottle I left in storage. I could swear it tasted better than the (presumably) fresh Chaucers I tasted at the meadfest.

With the number of fine Meaderies in the United States, it would've been good of them to visit more than one. (I want to see Mike's Honey Pump in action!)

Michael

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I've spoken to the meadmaker at Chaucer's, Michael Faering/Fering/Faring I didn't get the spelling of his last name so I'm guessing as to the spelling. He's a very affable fellow and is very open about his brewing process. He told me he uses alfalfa honey in the primary to a brix of 24 and innoculates with a S. bayanus strain of yeast and allows the fermentation to go to dryness (SG of 1.000?) and then backsweetens to 10 brix with a varietal wildflower from the local mountains.

My experience with Chaucer's is that there is a strong aroma of unfermented honey that suggests bottle aging would improve the flavor.

cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns