• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

where did the threads go?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Vicki,

I wouldn't complain but a quick glance through the new board makes it look like every thread I started has disappeared. Most of them may not matter but the ones I would really like not to have lost were my three Brewlogs...

Any chance of them being recovered?

Thanks,
Pewter

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Those chunks, along with my yeast test, scotts and several others were all lost before the conversion. We're looking at several of the backups to see about the possibility of pulling them from the older backups, recovering them and converting them to this new board format.

It's in work so the word of the day is patience and understanding if we're not able to get the threads back. There is plenty of stuff that I posted that went away so I empathize fully with anyone who has lost posts.

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Guys,

We're talking about 1,500 posts that went *poof* on the old Yabb forum. Since they're all in flatfile format, and laid out in such a way that we'll have to go through each of over 6,000 posts individually to find the lost ones, copy them into an Excel file, and then upload them to the forum database along with another file to hook them all into the proper boards and topics, we've got our work cut out for us.

Oskaar and I have put in a *lot* of time so far just getting what we had on the old Yabb over here into SMS. I spent over 100 hours so far, most of it while I was laying in bed with bronchitis/pneumonia, getting what I could over. Meanwhile the one paying project I have right now got backlogged. I'm lucky that the customer is a patient man, or he'd have dumped me. So, my priority right now is to take care of the guy thats putting in the food money just at the moment.

I haven't forgotten this, and it weighs on my mind. But I just can't do it right now. This site, as you all know (or should know) is a hobby site, that I maintain in my spare time. Right now, that is slim between being sick and trying desperately to get enough work to make a living. I'm an independent web designer, and a party of one, so the whole business is handled by me. I'm completely buried in creating a fairly complex Yahoo shopping cart custom site right now.

Be patient, most of the 'lost' posts still exist in the backup, albeit in a very messy flatfile format. I have to create a properly laid out Excel file for at least 3 different db tables, do a comparison of what posts we have altogether here and in the backup (around 6,000), vs. what came across to here, figure out in which topics and forums they were, and then for *each* lost thread, copy and paste various data from *3* different files. The topics, messages and boards are all indicated by numbers, and the old software used a screwy numbering system that is not terribly intiuitive. I estimate that there is at least another 100 hours of work involved in getting all the data parsed, copied, and uploaded. Maybe more. We're missing about 1,500 posts, as far as I can tell.

Sorry, folks. Please understand I'm not trying to be a bitch about this, but I'm *seriously* buried just trying to keep my head above water. I'll work this out as fast as I can. If you want to mess with the data, and are willing to put in the work, you certainly can. Mail me privately, and I'll send you a zip of the backed up data. Oskaar is already putting together some spreadsheets of threads, but we have yet to tackle the raw data.

Apologetically, but very, very tired just now,

Vicky

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Vicki,

Please do not treat my posts with requests as anything more than suggestions. I am not upset that the posts are missing. Most of my threads could go away and it wouldn't matter. I just wanted to point out a couple, the brewlogs, that were important.

You have to do your own prioritizing and anyone here that believes this place comes before your health or your work is a fool. I don't believe that anyone here has the expectations for you to complete things as quickly as you seem to be feeling that you need to do them. As long as we know that things are somewhere on the list, even if at the bottom and months away, no one here can really complain. Ok?

Take care and get well!
Pewter

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns