• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
No idea. I'm not the admin.

I would like to know what this is, too. I've been curious about it for awile now.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well, from what I can see if you click on the applaud or smite it will add a plus or a minus to your karma. You can do it to someone else, but, not to yourself I think.

Pewter, I smited you once for your posting without using the search tool which is why yours went from neutral to minus territory. I wanted to see how the applaud worked so I clicked on applaud on your next post. So it seems that karma is mutable.

Try it and see.

Cheers,

Oskaar

randy

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 27, 2004
Ok, So where is the applaud and smite stuff at?

cause you should be smited for taking away golem for the truly freaky face you have now.......

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Oskaar,

I really have no desire to use a function like that, especially while just playing, since it leaves a permanent mark on every post someone makes in the future. If I have trouble with something someone posts, I will discuss it with them and leave it at that. I see no reason to "score" anyone here on anything. Excuse me, and you can smite me for saying it, but the whole concept seems a bit juvenile. Until you posted, I had no idea why it was done and so it accomplished nothing other than causing concern and a bit of anger.

Peace,
Pewter

PS: Those functions might be just for admin since randy and I don't seem to be able to locate them.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Pewter,

You're missing the boat. This is nothing more than amusement.

If you feel that you're being unfairly picked on or attacked please feel free to email me and we can work it out.

Oskaar

Edited for word omission.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Hey all,

Please forgive yesterday's rant but I was a little hurt, and more than a little concerned that I might have hurt Vicki's feelings, when I saw that I was the only one on the board with negative karma. So I spent the day worrying about what I might have said to Vicki and how to apologize for it. Turns out it was just Oskaar playing with a new function that the rest of us don't seem to have.

I guess I would recommend not using it. But if there is a need to do so I would recommend using it to reward posters for helping a lot or other positive things and only use the negative when someone is flaming or doing personal attacks. Just my suggestion...

Peace,
Pewter

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Hey Pewter, you do have a point. I can see how if someone new to the board came in and didn't realize it was just for fun, they might think it was serious.

If I had a smite button I would be smiting Oskaar every time I saw him. ;) Then anybody new would see his +1/-200 and be like "Damn! He must be an a**hole!" ;D

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Pewter,

Vicky isn't the type to be vindictive. And I'm sure that Vicky would have made mention if her feelings were hurt by anything anyone said.

If you are still very concerned as you were yesterday, email Vicky and discuss things out. She's a reasonable person just like the rest of us. Besides, we're all adults here, if not physically at least mentally. I'm the former, but definatley not the latter... Just ask my wife!

I only know Vicky through this site and through emailings back and forth and feel that I can honestly say that she's a really nice person to chat with. Of course all the other obvious nice stuff about her giving us a home on the net, etc.

Talon.

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Talon,

Thanks for the advice but it turns out Vicki isn't even an issue. As far as I know, she isn't upset with me and so I will assume what you posted about her speaking up if I do something wrong will hold true in the future.

The confusion was that Oskaar smote me, basically in jest, but I had no way of knowing who or why. Like Norskersword talked about, someone sees negative karma and will be predispositioned to think that the person with the negative score is some sort of rude, arrogant SOB. (I might be but no one here should know that yet! ;D )

Anyway I will reiterate my recommendation of using it for a positive to reflect and encourage good and stay away from the negative...

Thanks again for your comments,
Pewter

Norskersword

NewBee
Registered Member
May 19, 2004
Oskaar, if I log on to the forums and see my name says -50 next to it, I will know who did it! Seeing as how you are only with the smite button!

At least have Vicky give us all a smite button!

Let the mayhem begin...

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Howdy All,

Wow, I didn't know that the Karma setting was a reserved function for the Admin and board moderators. I smite myself for not knowing that!

I figured that everone had access and that you'd all give me a good smiting, it kind of goes along with the avatar LOL.

There were two posts that I smited Pewter one +karma, one -karma, neither were meant as anything other than silliness. Here's the links:

http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,411.msg3707.html#msg3707

http://www.gotmead.com/smf/index.php/topic,600.msg3709.html#msg3709

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!

Cheers,

Oskaar

Edit: I see that the function has been turned on for everyone! Cool Only downside is one cannot smite/applaud themselves, I just tried, and you can only smite/applaud the same person once an hour.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Oh, nevermind. I promise not to use the smite/applaud anymore, unless Wikdwaze comes back . . . then all bets are off LOL

Wikd, just kiddin!

Cheers,

Oskaar

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK, y'all if you're going to have problems with it, I'll turn it off. It is a function of the new forum, which can be turned off. As it comes 'out of the box', it has smite only for admin furctions. I didn't notice that when I installed the board. However, if folks are going to think its a bad thing, I'll turn it off.

Vicky

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns