• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Interest Level in Mead Seminar in Raleigh?

Barrel Char Wood Products

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
OK, all y'all here in the Carolinas (and VA), I met with the new owner of American Brewmaster today. For those of you that don't know, I've been a friend of Mike, who has run the shop since it opened. Mike is now retiring, and one of his regular customers, Mark Cook, has bought in, and is gradually working with Mike to become sole owner.

Mark and I talked for a while today, and he indicated that a number of mead makers have come in with questions. He is primarily a beer dude, and wished he could help the mead folk better. I floated the idea of a meadmaking seminar (or seminars) at the shop, and he thinks that would be fun.

So, here's the deal: I'll organize the thing, but I'd really like to have 2-3 people that will help me make the meads, choose some recipes to distribute, and discuss the ins and outs of meadmaking. I know a fair amount, but I've no illusion that I am ahead of y'all, especially since Gotmead takes up so much of my meadmaking time (LOL).

So, is there any interest in this? And can you help me reach the mead makers you know in our area that *aren't* on Gotmead?

Lemme know,

Vicky

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Do you even have to ask?! ??? Of course I'd love to help out in any way I can! If nothing else as "immoral" support! ;) My wife's all over the idea too, so count us in! Hopefully, we'll be in town! Email us off-line and we'll set things up. Or give me a call.

Gntlknght

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Well, from the West Coast I can at least give you Amoral Chaotic support.

Make a saving throw at -4 if you don't have a glass of mead in your hand!

Any ideas on recipes to make yet? Maybe a medium sweet show mead, a dry meth and a simply cyser or something like that would be easy to wrangle.

cheers,

Oskaar

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Oskaar said:
Well, from the West Coast I can at least give you Amoral Chaotic support.
I'm sure we'll take some of that!
Any ideas on recipes to make yet? Maybe a medium sweet show mead, a dry meth and a simply cyser or something like that would be easy to wrangle.
I think it would be great if we could do a traditional (show) mead, a melomel and a cyser, but I am not sure how many recipies Vicky is planning on demonstrating or having the group make. Meths still scare me a bit! I need to have some personal success there first! ;)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Yeah, that's for sure. Meth's can be a real battle. Been there done that. Hmmmm, I'm not currently making any meth's either, unless a spiced cyser counts.

Cheers,

Oskaar

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Well, if spiced cyser counts, I've got two going! But I cheated with the cyser and used mulled apple cider!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Give in to the Dark Side Gentle Knight! LOL

Great minds think alike. I'm using TJ's spicey cider! LOL Why reinvent the wheel when there's killer product available!

cheers,

Oskaar

Whteknght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2004
Sorry to sound in on this so late, but I would have great interest in this. I had noticed I hadn't seen Mike at the brewstore, but didn't know about the changes. I've only got a little experience with mead under my belt personally, but I think I've come a long way in 4 batches.

Next I try using the peach nectar and see what I get. I bought the yeast this past weekend.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
'K, I'll go talk to him and we'll look into putting a show together. I'll let y'all know what I find out, and post it here so we can work out details...

Vicky

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I talked to Mark about this a week or so ago. He seemed fine with the idea. Scheduling it between the 3 of us (plus Oskaar's amoral support) will be the challenge! Give me a couple of dates to choose from and I'll let you know what works best for me!

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I'm working on it. I haven't a weekend that isn't totally scheduled this month. Got a horse show Saturday, then I'm going black powder shooting on Sunday. Next weekend we shoot in Capron, VA at the Tucker's Skirmish (and with luck I can *hit* the damn hanging flower pots at 50 yds this time! Clays are *so* much easier!).

Then the following weekend I'm at Scarborough Faire (and you're at the Festival, IIRC). The last weekend of the month we're at the Tidewater Regional Skirmish in Capron for our final shoot before N-SSA (North-South Skirmish Association) Nationals in Winchester, VA.

In between all that I'm putting the finishing touches on the billiards supply site from Hell, and starting the work on the Redstone Meadery site. Behind that is Mikes' mead distribution/sales site and my cousin Paul's chain of music stores site. Apparently I've done something to please the gods, 'cause suddenly I'm working steadily, a first in a *while*.

Looks like May might be a bit better.....

Vicky - working weeks and playing weekends......

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
Vicky Rowe said:
I'm working on it. I haven't a weekend that isn't totally scheduled this month. Got a horse show Saturday, then I'm going black powder shooting on Sunday. Next weekend we shoot in Capron, VA at the Tucker's Skirmish (and with luck I can *hit* the damn hanging flower pots at 50 yds this time! Clays are *so* much easier!).

Then the following weekend I'm at Scarborough Faire (and you're at the Festival, IIRC). The last weekend of the month we're at the Tidewater Regional Skirmish in Capron for our final shoot before N-SSA (North-South Skirmish Association) Nationals in Winchester, VA.

In between all that I'm putting the finishing touches on the billiards supply site from Hell, and starting the work on the Redstone Meadery site. Behind that is Mikes' mead distribution/sales site and my cousin Paul's chain of music stores site. Apparently I've done something to please the gods, 'cause suddenly I'm working steadily, a first in a *while*.

Looks like May might be a bit better.....

Vicky - working weeks and playing weekends......

WOW Vicy you have a full plate, I shoot a Hawken and I travel the Pow Wow circuit here in PA. used to do a few of the Mountain Man events but I'm native and its more my thing at the Pow Wows. The seminar sounds great wish I was closer. Well Have a good day

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hey Diver!

Yeah, April turns out to be a busy one this year. I haven't been to a Pow Wow in a while. The Chippewa are the local tribe where I grew up, and I went with my daughter and my brother and his family to their Little River Pow Wow last summer when I was home in northwest Michigan.

I spend the whole time there sinking into the music. The drumming really takes me off to another plane. I've always been suseptible to drumming that way....if I get too much of it, I don't even have to fast to have visions!

Vicky - who always wanted to be an Indian when we played Cowboys and Indians as a kid, and am a student of Native American culture to this day

toolboxdiver

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 3, 2005
toolboxdiver.tripod.com
Vicky Rowe said:
Hey Diver!

Yeah, April turns out to be a busy one this year. I haven't been to a Pow Wow in a while. The Chippewa are the local tribe where I grew up, and I went with my daughter and my brother and his family to their Little River Pow Wow last summer when I was home in northwest Michigan.

I spend the whole time there sinking into the music. The drumming really takes me off to another plane. I've always been suseptible to drumming that way....if I get too much of it, I don't even have to fast to have visions!

Vicky - who always wanted to be an Indian when we played Cowboys and Indians as a kid, and am a student of Native American culture to this day

Thats wonderful, I have a t shirt that says "My Heros have allways Killed Cowboys" LOL and Yes the drumming at the pow wow really does take you to another plane and it is a good place to be. Well Vicky thanks for the reply and I feel like I've found a new home here at Got Mead

Meadmage999

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 27, 2005
Raleigh? Raleigh is a great idea! Please do it! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!! I am in total favor of the idea, please do this, it will help us NC, VA, and SC newbis!
:-*
Meadmage

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Re: *jumps up and down like a child* Please.... (*all the guys in there: Eyes go *Bonce, Bonce*) PLEASE!

"Bonce" is an informal term for the human head. Or did you mean Bouncy, Bouncy? But I think that has some "blue" connotations, (Monty Python - Come back to my place... Bouncy Bouncy.), and that would better describe the jumping, our eye's go "pop, pop" :eek: ;D ::)

Raliegh's too far for me right now, got my Vacation booked for Pennsic. But Best of luck.

Wrathwilde

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Yeah, I'm thinking of attending at least part of Pennsic. A girlfriend has offered me half her tent, so I'm looking into creating a new set of Middle Easterns from the Silk Stash in the fabric pile, and putting together a couple short-term meads and cordials to take. The DH is OK with me disappearing into the mists for a few days, and another friend is going to attend, so it looks good.

Vicky - the last couple days of the Pool Hall site from Hell are here, and Redstone proceeds apace.......

D

Drunken Master

Hey Vicky,

I am in the Raleigh area and would love to help out. I'm in American Brewmaster about every weekend it seems, even took Mark a sample of my Braggot a few weeks ago.

DM

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns