• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Help Gonzo

Barrel Char Wood Products

Gonzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2005
www.zedswetpaint.com
Gonzo said:
New issue,
If I'm making 4 gal batches and I have 5 gal. carboys for secondarys, will filling that much room up to the neck with water(in secondary stage) be bad for my batch?

What if I add more honey and water?

gonz

GntlKnght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
Gonzo said:
What if I add more honey and water?

Yes, especially if it is still fermenting nicely. Adding the same SG solution as your starting must is the best way to go, unless you are trying to boost your sugar content at this point.

Gonzo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 20, 2005
www.zedswetpaint.com
Gonzo said:
3gal.batch with
8#honey
2#Blueberrys
1#Pineapple
1 orange peeled and sliced
2 beans of vanilla.
SG of 1.19 and Lavlin -71 b1122.

What can be done to alter the batch?

Sometimes I don't have time to do a lot of searching, I have learned a lot by the poking around that I have done. No better way to learn that by making mistakes I guess. Gonna suck bad if this batch goes bunk.
Gonzo said:
Ok guys,
I added 3qt. of water (all that would fit), tsp of nutrient, 1 pk of 1118 and stirred the bejesus out of it by spoon and beaters. SG at 1.10 and bubbleing at 2 to 5 seconds.
How much can the gravity drop after fermentation?

gonzo

Ok so it's been like a month and a week since I added a gallon of water and pitched the Lavlin 1118. The mead has been inactive for close to two weeks. I have given it a swirl about a week ago to knock any "sleeping" yeast to hopefully get moving. No bubbles, so lastnight I transfered the batch to a 3 1/2 gal. glass carboy with little to no waste! I'm quite impressed with myself. Anyway, I took a reading and it was 1.05, the stuff is beautiful, the wife says it stinks but I dig it. The aroma is not so blueberry but more pineapple with a berry end. A begining alcohol soda fountain feeling with and ending in sweet. But over sweet. So my question now oh guru brewers, is that is this stuff gonna keep going, im guessing she's gonna stay at the 1.05. Should I repitch, can a guy keep repitching?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns