• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Login keeps dropping

Barrel Char Wood Products

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
I'm trying to catch up on my reading and my login keeps dropping. I have no idea what the problem may be.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Are you clicking the stay logged in box, or setting the minutes to stay logged-in to more than 0??

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
:duh!:

Heh! I'm embarassed! I forgot this site has that 'time' option. I just set it to 30 minutes....let's see what happens....

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
NOPE! It dropped me after I clicked the 'Gotmead Forum' menu .... ???

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Well, if you have the time option set to 30 and you are telling it to remember your login I am still back to it being a cookie problem. Are you positive your browser is accepting the cookie? Have you tried deleting all of the Got Mead cookies and then logging in again?

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
I had a somewhat related problem -- for some reason, after I did a clearing of temporary files, history, ect. on MS Explorer, GotMead wouldn't recognize my login. Downloading Mozilla Firefox solved the problem. Here's a quick link if you want to try it out.

http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox/

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
I'm so frustrated ... I can't even post a message without being dropped....!

remclave

NewBee
Registered Member
Feb 21, 2005
Okay, I had to resort to composing in Notepad before posting here...

I'm not on my pc and that means I can't choose the 'always stay logged in' option. Also, the owner of this computer doesn't want mozilla, so that option is out.

I will say this much: I had no problem with the site on Thursday. I was away Friday thru Sunday morning. I checked with the owner of the computer and he has not loaded any new software.

What I HAVE noticed is that the site as a whole seems to be 'refresh'ing every 30 seconds or so....don't know why.

Oh well.... I still need to see if this is happening with my pc but that will have to be later.

Thank you for trying to help.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I can understand your frustrations. For a couple of weeks now I have been unable to login from work. I get some message about my credentials being incorrect. I can't even get to the pages that don't require a login. I can only assume the PC dept. changes something but I have been unable to figure it out (which is actually a good thing as I am rather busy lately anyways). I realize this is different than your problem but I wanted you to know I can feel your pain.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Sounds like your IT guys are tightening down the router security. They probably turned off ICMP echo requests so you're invisible to ping requests and backward verification. Either that or you're surfing through a proxy server or service that made some changes in their filtration.

Hey Miriam,

Your problems could be from regional filtration. There are a number of countries that use in/out filtration that could interefere with session cookies. I don't think Vicky drops OS cookies but I may be wrong.

Cheers,'

Oskaar

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I'm actually guessing my problem is the proxy server though I haven't had much time to do any poking around. Oh, well. I suppose I should actually be working at work anyhows.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
About the refreshing - the page *is* doing that. That's the ad software refreshing the meadery ads up at the top of the page.

Vicky

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
What are you using for ad control Vicky? I wonder if there isn't a package out there that uses XML HTTP Request objects so that you can cycle adds without reloading the whole page. If not I think it would be trivial to write, though I have no actual experience with it.

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
I'm using a program called AdPeeps. I'm sure that there are others out there, but none I've found so far can do this without costing a lot of money I don't have to spend, so I'm kind of stuck.

As far as writing one, LOL...I wouldn't have the first clue about where to even start! Thats so far beyond me it might as well be in Chinese. I'm clueless about how to write stuff like that!

Vicky

pain

GotMead Owner
Staff member
Administrator
Apr 5, 1996
North Carolina
gotmead.com
Hey, *you're* the one that said 'I have no experience with it! ::)

Dude, like I'm gonna turn down software if you want to write it. Want a copy of the AdPeeps so you can tear it up?

Vicky

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns