Thread: Fermax vs. Carlson "Yeast Energizer"

Default Fermax vs. Carlson "Yeast Energizer"

My local supplier doesn't have Fermax, but they do carry the Carlson Yeast Energizer. Is this an ok substitute for the Fermax specified in Joe's three week mead ... or should i order Fermax from one of the online suppliers?

2. Default Re: Fermax vs. Carlson "Yeast Energizer"

I use Fermax which contains:
    diammonium phosphate, dipotassium phosphate, magnesium sulfate, autolyzed yeast.

According to what I have found, LD Carlson contains:
    food-grade urea and diammonium phosphate

While I am sure the Carlson product will not hurt anything, I believe the Fermax would be the more complete choice. But I have never used anything but Fermax.

Default Re: Fermax vs. Carlson "Yeast Energizer"

Order the Fermax. My special recipes are critical. To make it drinkable in a short time, I try to use the minimum nutrients required and a different one might leave a taste without some aging.
    Joe

What A great topic I just made mead 2 weeks ago and added both and nutrient.
    3tsp nutrient

What about Lavlin Fermaid K ? I haven't used either, just curious.

Fermaid K is a great product, I've used it several times and like the results. When paired with Go-Ferm used to rehydrate your yeast, the batches take off like a rocket.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

7. Default Re: Fermax vs. Carlson "Yeast Energizer"

What about YEASTEX from www.steinfillers. com ?

It contains : vitamins including biotin, folic acid, riboflavin, thiamine. Minerals: calcium, magnesium, manganese, potassium, zinc and phosphate. Ammonium salts, amino acids, proteins and proteolipids.

According to the label, " Improves fermentation, shortens lag time,and helps acieve lower final gravity and reduces diacetyl". Use: 1/2 teaspoon per 5 gal. of beer, wine may require more, up to 1/2 tsp/gal.
    Price is $3.95/4oz

Just wondering
    Ted

Looking for a quick fermentation? What does yeast need to perform its best? Lalvin should know... Look no further than re-hydrating with GoFerm and supplementing with Fermaid K and DAP as per instruction.

http://consumer.lallemand.com/dansta...rmaidwine.html

http://consumer.lallemand.com/dansta...ton_Hints.html

http://consumer.lallemand.com/dansta...html#specifics

Quote from Clayton "The best form of usable nitrogen seems to be a combination of di-ammonium phosphate (DAP) and yeast extract. The practice of adding nitrogen is very helpful, as it has no negative effects."

A wealth of useful information on their site and a great place to visit for learning more about your favorite Lalvin Yeasts.

Wrathwilde

On the "au naturale" front, I've started to experiment with a combo of Fermaid 2133 (autolyzed yeast extract) and yeast hulls on a tip from Clayton Cone. It seems to work just as well as Fermaid K for me so far.

I'd love to conduct some side by side tests using various "natural" nutrients (raisins or other dried fruit, bee pollen, yeast hulls, and combinations thereof) vs. the big boys. However, I simply don't have the space now.