• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Oskaar's Age?

Barrel Char Wood Products

WRATHWILDE

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Mar 19, 2005
Dubuque, Iowa
www.zazzle.com
Does Anyone know? Upcoming Birthdays list him as 21, but I've checked his stats before, there was no mention of age. One of his posts states "I haven't done an all grain batch in a long time (mid-nineties?)" So he was brewing at 11 years old? ::) Does anyone else find this amusing?

Geoffrey Johnson

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 29, 2005
Knowing Oskaar, I'd say he's been brewing since he was about 18 months old

That would make sense, I think I ran across a Johnson&Johnson baby brewing kit while in the mall the other weekend. It had an all-grain baby formula kit that you could transform into a pretty respectable night-cap!

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think I saw Oskaar's name the other day when I was checking out period names for my SCA personnae...

"Oskaar, a meadmaker by trade, was arrested and sentenced to 30 days in the shackles in the Tower of London after he was found pillaging the King's stock of mead. The sentence was to begin on this 3rd day of May in the Year of Our Lord fifteen hundred and eighty three."

Further research into the name Oskaar mentions the King's sentence never being fulfilled, rumored sightings of a vagabond named Oskaar in wine country in Spain, and a stowaway named Oskaar existing entirely on mead during passage to the new world. Probably just coincidence...

Of course it could have been another Oskaar... ::) ::) ::)

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Given the ubiquity of Oskaar's posts, here on this forum and on other brewing/vinting/meading forums, I'd describe him as a 21 year old reincarnation of James "Kibo" Parry." ;)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Happy Birthday to ME ::)

Yup it is my Birthday, and my age really is other than what is listed. Here's a hint or two.

My first car at 16 was a 1950 De Soto.

Katherine Hepburn

Jack Paar

Coretta King

George Carlin

Johnny Miller

Oskaar

Cheers!

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Was the car bought brand-spankin' new or used and how old used?

Miriam

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Feb 2, 2005
Hm, Oskaar, whatever your exact age may be, from your hints it looks like you're getting up there. But whatever your age may be, it's your birthday, so here is the Hebrew version of "Happy Birthday to You":

Hayom yom huledet le Oskaar!
Chag lo sameach v'zer lo poreach
Hayom yom huledet le Oskaar!

(It's Oskaar's birthday today
May his festival be happy, may a bouquet flower for him
Today is Oskaar's birthday)

Miriam

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Thanks Miriam!

Going to dinner with some business colleagues this evening and drinking some mead and wine! Life is good!

Another hint:

Oskaar completes the progression of the names in the first hint.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
Katherine Hepburn - 1907

Jack Paar - 1918

Coretta King - 1929

George Carlin - 1937

Johnny Miller - 1947 (doesnt follow, I asume you mean the golfer?)

Oskaar - 1959? ;)

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Uh oh,

A divergence of dates :eek:

Here's what my sources said:

Katherine Hepburn - 1907

Jack Paar - 1917

Coretta King - 1927

George Carlin - 1937

Johnny Miller - 1947 (Yup, the golfer with the bad taste in plaid trousers)

Oskaar - Wink

Yes, April babies are the best! LOL At least that's what everyone in my family told me.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Lagerman64

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 17, 2003
NY
I know where you're coming from Oskaar. I bet if you listed the Bowery Boys, the Marx Brothers, the youngsters would say who? Probably the same for Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello and the Little Rascals. Happy B-Day ;D

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
So, that would make you 48 this year... Ya old man! *grins*

Happy Birthday. ;)

Mynx

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 8, 2005
I know where you're coming from Oskaar. I bet if you listed the Bowery Boys, the Marx Brothers, the youngsters would say who? Probably the same for Laurel and Hardy, Abbot and Costello and the Little Rascals

Hey now! I know who all of those but the Bowery Boys are, and I'm 25 ;) All depends on who yer parents were :D

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
I'm older than you and I've no clue who they are... *grins* My excuse is that for the first 15 years of my life I was raised outside of the United States.... *grins*

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns