Thread: Photo Upload Update - IMPORTANT

Default Photo Upload Update - IMPORTANT

OK folks. I did some looking around and noodled on the situation with Vicky last weekend.

Bottom line is that because of the amount of space used by photos on the server, it's impractical at this point in time to open up any more precious storage space for uploading photos. There is also performance at the server level as an ancillary issue.

Warm up your links foks, I'll be turning off the upload option for photos and deleting some of the photos that are in old threads that haven't been visited recently.

So we're back to linking photos, sorry 'bout that!

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Default Re: Photo Upload Update - IMPORTANT

Yup, we're eating up the space! Wish I could provide unlimited, but since I can't put up my own host, more space costs more money, and that I don't have, unfortunately.

Sorry guys, guess we'll have to save the space for posts instead of pix....

Vicky
    Wassail!

Vicky Rowe
    Owner & Webmistress, Gotmead.com
    Executive Director, American Mead Makers Association
    http://www.mead-makers.org
    Making Mead since 1995

3. Default Re: Photo Upload Update - IMPORTANT

Been meaning to put a website up for some time. This is just 1 more reason to do so. No worries

Default Attn Vicky: Photo Update + Fundraising Challenge

Vicky and Got Mead Members,

I don't know who your host is or what they charge and I offer this for comparison only... check out " IX Web Hosting " after seeing that we're eating up disk space and probably bandwidth with photos I decided to look into website hosts... possibly so GotMead members who don't have a web presence could upload & link photos to a separate dedicated server. "IX Web Hosting" was Rated the #1 web host of 2003 & 2004 by the hosting chart.

Unlimited Disk Space... Up to 8 Domains... 500GB data transfer.. all for only $19.99 a month, 24/7 (365) phone & live chat help center. Not that You'd want the headache of transferring hosts, but they also pay affiliates that host on their servers $90 per new customer referral, Your being a web designer as well... who knows it might be worth it. Just a thought... they support PHP and MySQL in their basic plans, which I see help power GotMead.

http://www.thehostingchart.com/ourreview1.html - to read review

http://www.ixwebhosting.com/ - for their site

Hell if all of us TOP POSTERS dropped $20 you'd have a year + of unlimited space... By the way I haven't forgotten about $50 I pledged... Figured I'd donate it when I see you at Pennsic. I'll even set up a challenge for people to donate before the end of the year (2005), for every poster that donates at least $10 I'll donate an extra $1, donate at least $50 and I'll donate an extra $5. Just tell Vicky you're donating against my challenge, I'll cut her a check at the end of the year to settle the challenge, $1 for every member that Donated at least $10, $5 for every member that donated at least $50, must be verified by Vicky

Challenge Offered because I enjoy seeing the progress, problems and achievements in other Members Photos... plus it really helps us diagnose problems. edacsac's recent "Contaminated..." post is a prime example... he was ready to flush it, but after seeing the pics we convinced him that it looked normal and to keep it. Just one recent batch saved.

Wrathwilde

(Vicky... could you bring me a pewter "Got Mead?" pin for Pennsic? I'll pay you there if it's alright.)

5. Default Re: Photo Upload Update - IMPORTANT

Hey folks,
    I understand the need for some financial support, so how do we handle it?
    If we were to send checks or money orders to Vicky, what address would we use? I don't think Vicky should give us her home address, and I will not make it to the Pensic. I wouls suggest for Vicky to get a PO Box, but that will be another headache for her to deal with.
    Let me know how it gets set-up, I will certainly help.

Ted - waiting for a suggestion, cash in hand!!

PayPal?

There used to be a paypal link on the forum for just that purpose. I'm not sure how long it's been gone.

David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

www.michiganmeadery.com

8. Default Re: Attn Vicky: Photo Update + Fundraising Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Wrathwilde
    I don't know who your host is or what they charge and I offer this for comparison only... check out " IX Web Hosting " after seeing that we're eating up disk space and probably bandwidth with photos I decided to look into website hosts... possibly so GotMead members who don't have a web presence could upload & link photos to a separate dedicated server. "IX Web Hosting" was Rated the #1 web host of 2003 & 2004 by the hosting chart.
    There are free online servers dedicated to hosting photos. I use www.photobucket.com.