Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!Shop Bee Folks for your Honey!

Default Which glass for which mead???

I've was introduced to wine about 5 years ago, and like every thing else I take an interest in, I read everything I can find on the subject (OCD has it's up side) and try it all. Most recently I've been exploring Burgundy, red & white (two new sets of glasses ) and there american counter parts pinot noir & chardonnay.

The peanut butter dessert mead I have, thats finishing now, I'd been thinking since it's so sweet (10 bix) with an ABV of 22.5% it would be best served in a grappa type glass. but what I've learned is that it really needs to breath for the aroma and flavor of hte peanuts to come out. So a dessert wine glass may be a better choice if you wanted the peanut butter to be up front. But then again with a grappa style glass, the aroma is be subdued and the flavor kicks in about mid way through.

so in as much as Mead is fermented honey, the glass it's served in still plays a major roll.

Anthony

Default Re: Which glass for which mead???

I'd suggest a port glass or a cordial glass as being a good match for your peanut butter mead.

You can also decant and let it breathe to leech off the volatile aroma compounds, and then heat it a bit and drink it from a snifter.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

PS. I know a girl who is from Loire, and who's family make stellar Loire Whites, Sauvignon Blanc, Chenin Blanc and Muscadet, and also some pretty impressive Cabernet Franc. You should hear her say "Sur lie"

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

My take is similar to Oskaar's.

I use glasses as follows:

Traditional meads: white wine glasses
    "Big" meads (dark/red/tannic): I use red wine glasses
    Port/sweet/high ABV meads: I use port/dessert glasses

Works great!

Brian

4. Default Re: Which glass for which mead???

I will admit to being barbaric when it comes to drinking beer, wine, mead, cordials, vinegars, syrups, sekanjabins, etc.

I use whatever drinking vessel is close enough to me, including fine wine glasses, plastic cups, pewter mugs, drinking horns, hand-made ceramic shot glasses, even paper cups.

After reading your opinions, I might become civilized. Someday.

Brian K

Very funny Brian, I too am not above drinking wine from a dixie cup.

Then there's drinking wine and enjoying it.

Anthony

Ya know,

I'm right there with you guys too! I love my stems, but when I met Gntlknight and Mrs. Gntlknight we swilled down two bottles of my mead from Holiday Inn plastic cups.

I had such a good time that I called Vicky the next day and we both thought it would be funny to put up a spot in the photo section for "show us your hotel cups with mead" section. It would be like a photo of a bottle of your mead in your hotel room and a hotel cup or glass full of mead. We thought it would be a kick. Just never got around to it, but hey, it could work.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Quote Originally Posted by Oskaar
    . . . we swilled down two bottles of my mead from Holiday Inn plastic cups.
    Barbarians. All of you, Oskaar and others on this thread. Pure barbarians.

Well, I have to confess, I've used a coffee mug for wine and mead. My barbarian wine/mead coffee mug has a picture of Albert Einstein on it, sticking his tongue out.

There's a great story about "spagetti wine" in one of the Frugal Gourmet's books that's relevant to this thread. I'll have to post it on the Hive soon. Knowing Oskaar, he's probably read it already.

<><><><><><><><><><>
    <><><><><><><><>
    Dan McFeeley

"Meon an phobail a thogail trid an chultur"
    (The people's spirit is raised through culture)

8. Default Re: Which glass for which mead???

Plastic cups? Mugs? Wine glasses? Horns?

Man, and all this time I have been hefting 5 gallon carboys up to my lips! *glug* *glug*

I have some pils glasses that I am quite fond of. I generally use them for beer but they work equally as well for mead.

Fedelm Dub Gotmead Visitor

I'm also one of those barbarians who has tried mead in whatever's available whether it's a wine glass, pewter tankard, metal goblet, horn, plastic or paper cup.

10. Default Re: Which glass for which mead???

By far I prefer the drinking horn...it allows one to carry and awful lot of mead around. Also the beewax lining enhances the flavour for me. Aside from that I use whatever I feel appropriate. I have used wine glasses, hiball glasses and shooter glasses as necessary. Hel, I would just drink out of the bottle if my wife let me.

John

11. Default Re: Which glass for which mead???

Quote Originally Posted by jackwolfe
    I would just drink out of the bottle if my wife let me.

John
    Hey! I never told you to not drink from the bottles... I guess you've never seen me tip one back...hee hee.
    The gallon jugs are kind of hard to drink from without spilling precious drops, aren't they? Is there a special technique?
    I learned the hard way how to properly drink from a drinking horn...

Aislinn (his wife)

12. Default Re: Which glass for which mead???

Hook the gallon jug with your index finger, bend wrist back and lean the jug on your arm and forearm. Touch lips to jug's mouth, lift your elbow...enjoy!
    I'm with the barbarians, whatever glass/ cup is clean and handy.

Ted

13. Default Re: Which glass for which mead???

Quote Originally Posted by Brewbear
    Hook the gallon jug with your index finger, bend wrist back and lean the jug on your arm and forearm. Touch lips to jug's mouth, lift your elbow...enjoy!

Ted
    Woo hoo! Thanks, Ted!
    I have to run downstairs now and try out your technique... it may take me a few tries to get it right.
    Ailsinn