Thread: sassafras mead? nah, coffee blossom mead

1. Default sassafras mead? nah, coffee blossom mead

I'm very, very new at brewing. I have my very first batch in primary in my pantry (rose vanilla, wildflower honey), but I am already thinking of my next batch. I'd love to try my hand at a sassafras mead. I have a baggie filled with sassafras chips, and being a native West Virginian, the smell gets me all happy and light-headed. I'm just not quite sure as to how to go about it, with quantities and such. I make one gallon batches. Any suggestions on how to make a good sweet or semi-sweet sassafras mead?

2. Default Re: sassafras mead?

I saw some Zapatista coffee blossom honey, so I changed my mind. Revolutionary mead it is. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put in any spices or just do it straight up. I got some unsulphited raisins to give it a little more oomph, but other than that... hmm.

Default Re: sassafras mead? nah, coffee blossom mead

That certainly sounds like a varietal worthy of its own beverage. I suggest you save the sassafras for another time with some clover or wildflower honey.

Cheers,
    Kirk

Hey abejita,

I searched for and found a couple sources for Coffee Blossom/FLower honey. I was thinking of making a Coffee - Coffee mead at first, that is, use strong coffee rather then water in the must with the coffee honey.

I have to agree with byathread, at $1.00 an oz. + shipping, I feel anything oher than a Varietal mead with this honey, would be a waste.

Then, that 's just my thinking.

I look foreward to hearing about what you do with coffee honey, and how it cames out.

Anthony

5. Default Re: sassafras mead? nah, coffee blossom mead

I got mine for $3.50 for 12.5 oz. from an activist source, since I really wanted the honey the Zapatistas gather. I only have room for one gallon jugs in my closet, so one gallon batches it is. I got about 4 lbs. worth, planning on putting a bit over 3 lbs. in at first and saving a little to back-sweeten if I have to. The shipping wasn't bad, I paid about $25 for everything together.

6. Default Re: sassafras mead? nah, coffee blossom mead

Zapatista Coffee blossom honey?? that just sounds dangerous. lol
    Anyhow, I have a batch of sassafras mead currently bubbling along. (its on of the ones in my "momentarily more than a gallon" post in the brewlog). I used a mix of clover and orange blossom honey, and then racked to secondary over a bottle of Pappy's Sassafras tea concentrate. I used that since its easy to use and safrole-free. I have worked with enough nasty stuff to be sure to get cancer as it is, no help needed from the mead ingredients, thanks. I will post updates on the batch as needed, but not sure how long it will have to age out.
    just so ya know.
    hedgehog

Ahhh, Zapatista Coffee Flower honey 4.50 / 12.5 oz, 4+ 3.50 / 12.5, thats a good price.

The Coffee Blossom Honey I got is from Java, it's $9.99 per 10.2 oz jar + shipping.

I'll buy a jar of the mexican coffee honey to compare to the one I have.

Anthony

8. Default Re: sassafras mead? nah, coffee blossom mead

The coffee blossom honey just came in the mail and (of course) I sampled a little. Good stuff. It's a medium amber color. It starts with a hint of citrus and a tiny bite, then a caramel-ish taste, but finishes with mellow sweet coffee. Time to sanitize!