• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

sassafras mead? nah, coffee blossom mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
I'm very, very new at brewing. I have my very first batch in primary in my pantry (rose vanilla, wildflower honey), but I am already thinking of my next batch. I'd love to try my hand at a sassafras mead. I have a baggie filled with sassafras chips, and being a native West Virginian, the smell gets me all happy and light-headed. I'm just not quite sure as to how to go about it, with quantities and such. I make one gallon batches. Any suggestions on how to make a good sweet or semi-sweet sassafras mead?

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
Re: sassafras mead?

I saw some Zapatista coffee blossom honey, so I changed my mind. Revolutionary mead it is. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to put in any spices or just do it straight up. I got some unsulphited raisins to give it a little more oomph, but other than that... hmm.

byathread

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 8, 2005
Boulder County, CO
That certainly sounds like a varietal worthy of its own beverage. I suggest you save the sassafras for another time with some clover or wildflower honey.

Cheers,
Kirk

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Hey abejita,

I searched for and found a couple sources for Coffee Blossom/FLower honey. I was thinking of making a Coffee - Coffee mead at first, that is, use strong coffee rather then water in the must with the coffee honey.

I have to agree with byathread, at $1.00 an oz. + shipping, I feel anything oher than a Varietal mead with this honey, would be a waste.

Then, that 's just my thinking.

I look foreward to hearing about what you do with coffee honey, and how it cames out.

Anthony

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
I got mine for $3.50 for 12.5 oz. from an activist source, since I really wanted the honey the Zapatistas gather. I only have room for one gallon jugs in my closet, so one gallon batches it is. I got about 4 lbs. worth, planning on putting a bit over 3 lbs. in at first and saving a little to back-sweeten if I have to. The shipping wasn't bad, I paid about $25 for everything together.

hedgehog

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 8, 2005
Zapatista Coffee blossom honey?? that just sounds dangerous. lol
Anyhow, I have a batch of sassafras mead currently bubbling along. (its on of the ones in my "momentarily more than a gallon" post in the brewlog). I used a mix of clover and orange blossom honey, and then racked to secondary over a bottle of Pappy's Sassafras tea concentrate. I used that since its easy to use and safrole-free. I have worked with enough nasty stuff to be sure to get cancer as it is, no help needed from the mead ingredients, thanks. I will post updates on the batch as needed, but not sure how long it will have to age out.
just so ya know.
hedgehog

Dmntd

NewBee
Registered Member
Apr 18, 2005
Ahhh, Zapatista Coffee Flower honey 4.50 / 12.5 oz, 4+ 3.50 / 12.5, thats a good price.

The Coffee Blossom Honey I got is from Java, it's $9.99 per 10.2 oz jar + shipping.

I'll buy a jar of the mexican coffee honey to compare to the one I have.

Anthony

abejita

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 31, 2005
bottlebombs.blogspot.com
The coffee blossom honey just came in the mail and (of course) I sampled a little. Good stuff. It's a medium amber color. It starts with a hint of citrus and a tiny bite, then a caramel-ish taste, but finishes with mellow sweet coffee. Time to sanitize!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns