Thread: Private message problem/question

1. Default Private message problem/question

I'm having little problem with the private messaging function on this site. Unless you actively check for a message, you tend to not see see if you have anything. Is there a way to make it more noticable? Maybe a red flag somewhere? Or a .wav file saying, "Mother! Mother! Make it stop! It's burn! It burns....!"

Phil (disturbed)

Vicky Rowe Gotmead Visitor

Default Re: Private message problem/question

Dunno. I'll have to look into it.

I appreciate all the great suggestions you guys have, but I gotta tell you that my skills aren't up to re-writing an entire bulletin board system. 'S why I nabbed Yabb to do it for me...

Vicky - just a regular HTML coder, with a bit of Java and PHP thrown in

Hi Vicky,

In a lot of message boards and forums there are system messages that go active when sent directly to a user or another admin. I wonder if YABB has a similar function.

The ones I have seen are generally used by admin personnel and are an applet or script to send a one line message like "Log off now the system is coming down in five minutes," etc. I've seen others piggybacked off the spooler messaging sub-system so they come up as a pop-up message only.

Generally there is no interactivity because of the system overhead it would chew.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar - Lusting after Adriana Lima
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

How about after you log in, it checks if you have any private messages, and if so, pops up a message with an "OK" button (like what has been added to the Chat board when someone new joins).

All great ideas, but again, unless I re-write Yabb, I don't know of a way to do it. I'm checking the Yabb forums to see if anyone has written a hack to do this......

Vicky

I just noticed that on the private messages section you can check a box to have an email sent when you receive an instant message. This may be a reasonable work-around for a popup message, and save Vicky some "hacking" on the board.

I'm going to test this around and post some more comments in a few.

Oskaar

Default Here's a start

You can to to your messages box, and then click the little terminal Icon which will allow you to toggle the yes/no selection for notify by email of a private message to your inbox.

This generates an email to the address in your profile, and will deliver pretty quickly to that email address. If you have your email client running all the time like I do, you'll get a notification that you have received new mail from Gotmead.com.

It's not a pop-up or instant notification, but it seems to be a reasonable workaround. If you're using hotmail or yahoo or another web-based email YMMV (your mileage may vary).

Give it a try!

Cheers,

Oskaar

I tried that Oskaar. Works good. Good idea. saves Vicky a lot of work.
    Joe

I'm also test driving a hack I found that is supposed to send you an email when someone replies to a thread you're in. We'll see how it works....