• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Quick suggestion...

Barrel Char Wood Products

Redleg

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Can you make the "Start a new topic" button larger and plainly visible? I had to search to find it last time I visited!

V

Vicky Rowe

Hi,

I'm digging through the code and slowly doing some customizing of buttons and such. Bear with me, I'll get it all tweaked!

Thanks for the suggestion,

Vicky

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
No disrespect to Redleg, but the Start New Topic link is pretty obvious to me. Mayhap if you just offset it with a different "louder" color it may be easier to pick-up.

Cheers,

Oskaar

V

Vicky Rowe

If ever I find enough time to do all the updates (I've a pile of text updates about a foot thick!), I'll get to it. Managing this mound of code is a boatload of work!

Vicky - juggling Gotmead between 3 jobs

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
A meadwench juggling! Now there's a pleasant visual!

If you need any help by way of something we can help prioritize as users, or do as users, I think we'd be willing to help and pitch in wherever possible.

Oskaar

V

Vicky Rowe

*perk* a coder? Whatcha got, my friend? I'm in dire need of PHP/mySQL and CSS help right now........

Vicky - buried but struggling womanfully

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
C#, VB, a little C++, Java and ASP.
What I don't know, I'm able to pick up rather quickly. PHP is similar to ASP in some respects, but is really just another programming language. It wouldn't be too far of a stretch for me to pick up on it.

Talon.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hi Vicky,

Hmmm, I haven't worked with mySQL but I have worked with msSQL, and some CSS.

I'll fire off an email with the details.

Oskaar

V

Vicky Rowe

OK guys, here's what we need to look at:

The site has scads of info. So, task #1 is coming up with a layout that will best display the info. One site I like the looks of is http://www.builder.com . I like the idea of 3 columns, left for the menu, right for various, and the middle for the main text, etc. It will best handle the sort of info I'm presenting, I think, not to mention be easy to keep up if backed by a CSS.

The second task is a new header design, using the Gotmead colors and the wench/viking logos.

The third task is re-arranging the menu structure. It's grown like a plant without pruning, and is really messy right now.

4th, db's and script to handle and search the recipes and the meaderies.

Those are the top major tasks. Ideas? Comments? Criticisms? This is y'alls place, folks. Tell me what you want to see, and if you'd like in on the re-write, you'll not find me running you off.

Vicky

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Vicky,

I'm going to take some time tonight or tomorrow and and do a "walk-about" on the site. Basically drill down on everything, that'll give me a better idea of your overal site dynamic, and then I'll be able to give you some reasonable suggestions.

Sound OK?

Oskaar

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Vicky,

Have you thought about adding in an XML expandable menu for the left hand side? That would give you many options for allowing collapsable sections that would enable organization of the links in the differing sections, etc.

Also, there is a starter kit for a .Net based content management system you can find here: http://www.asp.net/Default.aspx?tabindex=8&tabid=47
There are also other utilities there that could be incorporated into the site. Granted, this runs against MSSQL, but could be reverse engineered to go agains MySQL and it uses the XML menu structure, special modules, etc. It's also with a little code changes CSS enabled.

Let me know what you think?

V

Vicky Rowe

Hi Talon,

I'm adverse to using .net, partially because I don't know diddly about it (never used it), and partly because asp will make it harder for the search engines to parse the site.

Also, I've seen too many posts about the security holes in .net, and am really squeamish about using windows. I'm running under Unix now, and I'm both comfortable and knowledgable (at least to an extent) in that environment.

Right now I'm looking at a partial content management system, i.e., using databases for the recipes and meadery lists, scripts for the calendar/forum/etc. and I've other scripts and blogs that I can use for content, to augment the static pages. A little more complicated, but its something I know how to use, that will keep the search engines coming......

Thanks for the tip, though. I'll check it out if only to augment my paltry knowledge of .net....

Vicky - off to Wellford, SC on Wednesday

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'm a big fan of core competancy. If you know something, and are used to the structural, envrionmental, technical and administrative aspects of that space, then it doesn't make a lot of sense to pitch it and move to another space for the sake of a couple of features that are attractive.

.net is an intriguing environmnet, but if you're set up for Unix, there may be some significant changes to both your present environment (hardware/software) that may need to be changed.

Also putting up a new site with a new configuration in a new "space" while in a production environment sounds like a really bad idea from a quality standpoint.

Just my $.02

Oskaar

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
I fully agree with you Oskaar. If it works for you, stick with it, is what I say. I was only throwing out a suggestion of something that may inspire interresting features to be added, even if we have to code them in PHP or CGI...

Just hopin' to set inpiration into high gear!

V

Vicky Rowe

Heck, putting up a new site in the *same* space is a real pain in the butt! I'm playing with some CSS-based 3-column layouts right now, and am having a heck of a time. Plus, there is all this old crap lying around the Gotmead site from previous versions. At some point, I'm going to take it down one night, blow it all away, and upload a clean version.....

Vicky

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Oh, the long nights that I've spent re-deploying sites at work by doing that.... Fond memories of double brewed coffee, distribution check lists and proceedure manuals spread across the desk while I madly type in commands at my terminal...

The good ole days!

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I remember doing a simultaneous extranet, intranet and domestic frame relay rollout over one weekend. I had different teams working on each, but I was in the middle of the intranet rollout in Downtown LA where our offices were.

Here was my keep awake formula:

Two scoops of Folgers Coffee crystals in a yogurt cup, chased with a jolt cola and followed up by lots of Starbuck's French Roast.

It was a three day rollout, and downstairs they were filming Rush Hour Two in the lobby downstairs (it's the part where they see a suspect in the lobby of a building and they chase him out onto a loading dock) and we were all P.O'd because they had the whole place full of equipment and people.

Frenetic memories and caffeine shakes!

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns