• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Section Managers: Like to research?

Barrel Char Wood Products
V

Vicky Rowe

OK, here's the next idea: Section Managers.

We've got several sections that need managing, including:

- the Calendar
- links
- history
- articles
- MeadHQ (needs a total rewrite)
- the AMA newsletter (new)

What I mean by managing is this:

You handle a section, getting new info, googling for new links, etc. I get the final decision, but many of you know my site better than I do, and what I like. Stay on topic in the section, and help it grow.

As far as MeadHQ, I've got a download of all the pages, but he did it in, I think, ASP. I can zip those pages and send them along. So, it needs organizing and re-writing. I can provide a page template.

The AMA newsletter I have a copy of most of the issues, and thought about PDFing the pages for display. I spoke with the former head(s), and they've no problem with them going up.

I also need someone to help with inputting the recipes from the flat files they exist in now into the recipe database, once it gets re-programmed to be like mead. To see what it looks like now (I'm working on it), go to http://www.gotmead.com/cyberbrau/index.php .

Nope, no pay for this, just the joy of knowing you're helping to expand the largest mead site on the internet.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Vicky,

the Recipe database data entry could be split between many (a problem shared is a problem halved).

I'll put my hand up to do some (or all).

(I'm down under, so I access the site "out-of-hours" compared to most participants)

James

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
I'd be willing to help in any way I can. Keep in mind, my knowledge of computers is limited to locating the power switch. I do know how to "Google", though.

V

Vicky Rowe

I figured I'd put in accounts for those meadmakers that wish to post their own recipes. I'm not going to open up logins for the general public, because I'd be spending all my time cleaning up the crap. But anyone who wants to have their own recipe account, just let me know at gotmead@gotmead.com. I'll need a username, password and email addy.

As far as the research, Wikd, what we're looking for is mead links, new meaderies, and suchlike, all over the world. If its a site link, they need to have a reciprocal link to get one on ours (only fair, I think). I've a linking program at http://www.gotmead.com/cgi-bin/mrlsf.cgi where you can enter links and recip link pages. If you're really serious about taking it on, I'll e you the admin stuff so you can accept them. It auto-creates the links on another page under Mead Research.

::rubbing hands together:: I am *tickled* to finally have enough folks helping that we might actually get all the new stuff going! And I'll finally have time to work on a re-write that gives us much more intuitive site. Oskaar has a keen sliding java menu that will be *very* cool, and now I just have to work out the sections, sub-sections and such, and play with a re-layout of the logo/header.

Vicky

V

Vicky Rowe

Oh, and regarding the links, many of the current links here: http://www.gotmead.com/mead-research/links/mead-links.shtml are from before, and may or may not have recip links. They need visiting to see, and they also have to be verified. I can provide a verification report to show which are no longer valid and need updating or removing.....

Vicky - in Greenville, SC this week and Duck, NC week after next

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Hey Vicky,

I'll surf those links if you want to fire me off a file with the URL's to tag!

Oskaar

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Oops,

Forgot the rest of the message. You're looking for an accounting of valid/broken links, and banner/link reciprocation correct?

WikdWaze

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 2, 2004
Ummm, think I'll be quiet now. I keep reading the posts, the words are familiar, but the text is greek.

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Vicky,
For the MeadHQ site, did you want it re-orged in ASP or re-done completely in php and/or cgi?

If you want it re-done in ASP, not a problem, I can do that and throw it into the template you have... Otherwise, it may take me a bit to get up to snuff on php to re-write it...

Talon.

V

Vicky Rowe

Oskaar - yes, they need surfing, validating, and recip link yes or no.

Talon - since I'm in a Unix world, ASP isn't gonna work, I don't think (will it?). However, I'm thinking that they need to be re-done in HTML or XML, using the same CSS that we're working on for the overall site. I envision it as a main menu click as its own section, since it was such a great site. I can zip it up and shoot it over, if you like. I can't send email from this place, they've got their internet set up here to not let anyone send mail without jumping through hoops that they can't tell you about....::Sigh:: some hotels understand security, some don't use security, and some lock it down so tight you can't work......

Norskersword - I actually let my Wordtracker subscription expire due to funding issues, and haven't re-done it. so yeah, if you've yours that would help. Once I've re-done the site, I'm going to run it back through WebPosition and see what it says (gotta upgrade that one too).

Vicky

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
If you're running appache, I think ASP will run on a unix system... However, I've no problem converting them to html for you if you wouldn't mind sending me a copy of the CSS with it?

Or if you prefer XML and have an idea of how you want it or want me to create you a DTD for it I can do that, too.... I just don't have much practice with XSL files, but would find it a challenge and interresting to do if you prefer it done that way...

Options, options... Let me know what you'd prefer?

V

Vicky Rowe

I'm thinking HTML with a CSS. However, it will be a bit, as I haven't created the CSS yet. That's next week's project.....

Vicky

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Okay, not a problem. If you'd like to send me the files, I can get a head start on getting them converted and apply the CSS to it after the fact in the style you want.

My email address is nmccormick@earthlink.net.

Talon.

kace069

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 21, 2004
I'd really love to help out too. But I am in the same boat as wyked. I'm not much of a computer wiz. But I love to research and hopefully I will start school in january. Something in the computer field and maybe I can be more help. Let me know what I can do!!!!!

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns