Thread: Hey all!

1. Default Hey all!

Just joined the forum..I'm glad I found it.

I start my first batch of mead tomorrow. I've decided on the Ancient Orange, Cinnamon, and Clove Mead as my first batch.

It seems easy enough and I have all the proper equipment.

Just wanted to welcome myself!

Default Re: Hey all!

Gurusan,

Welcome! I have a batch of that same stuff that is now about a month old and I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out. Good luck with it!

Pewter

3. Default Re: Hey all!

Thanks!

I was wondering if it matters what brand of bread yeast I use?
    I don't have a problem with going to buy some Fleischmanns...but I have a couple packets of Red Star here....

Joe's recipe calls for the bread yeast so use the Fleischmann's...

Welcome,

Yes, I'd use the Fleishmans. Follow his recipe to the letter to get the super quick results and early drinkable mead. I didn't measure my honey carefully and had to stop it before it went dry. Having to mess with it slowed it down a bit. It's clearing now, but won't quite be ready by Christmas and it really should have been.

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby - addiction - obsession... whatever you choose to call it!

Let us know how it turns out.

David
    David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

www.michiganmeadery.com

Quote Originally Posted by gurusan
    Just joined the forum..I'm glad I found it.

I start my first batch of mead tomorrow. I've decided on the Ancient Orange, Cinnamon, and Clove Mead as my first batch.

It seems easy enough and I have all the proper equipment.

Just wanted to welcome myself!
    Wecome Gurusan,
    Glad to have you aboard. Good choice for your first mead. Always best to follow specific ingredients and directions on a proven recipe for the first time. It pretty well fail-safe unless something is changed. Its all natural and will give you some confidence and an idea how simple mead can be to make. Hopefully, it will encourage you to learn more so you can build your own recipes. The recipe, equipment and procedure is made to be simple but is a bit unorthodox so it is a good idea to get your hands on a book like "the Compleat MeadMaker" by Ken Schramm to gain a better understanding of the process and effects of ingredients before experimenting on your own. Again, good to have you aboard. Best wishes for success in your new hobby.
    Joe

Gurusan,

I'd second Joe's recommendation about The Compleat Meadmaker. It is both a learning guide for the beginner as well as a reference book for the old pro. You will eventually want to have it in your meadmaking library so I'd encourage you to get it for yourself for Christmas.

Merry CHristmas,
    Pewter