• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Hey all!

Barrel Char Wood Products

gurusan

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2004
Just joined the forum..I'm glad I found it.

I start my first batch of mead tomorrow. I've decided on the Ancient Orange, Cinnamon, and Clove Mead as my first batch.

It seems easy enough and I have all the proper equipment.

Just wanted to welcome myself!

gurusan

NewBee
Registered Member
Dec 21, 2004
Thanks!

I was wondering if it matters what brand of bread yeast I use?
I don't have a problem with going to buy some Fleischmanns...but I have a couple packets of Red Star here....

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
Welcome,

Yes, I'd use the Fleishmans. Follow his recipe to the letter to get the super quick results and early drinkable mead. I didn't measure my honey carefully and had to stop it before it went dry. Having to mess with it slowed it down a bit. It's clearing now, but won't quite be ready by Christmas and it really should have been.

Good luck and enjoy your new hobby - addiction - obsession... whatever you choose to call it! ;D

Let us know how it turns out.

David

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
gurusan said:
Just joined the forum..I'm glad I found it.

I start my first batch of mead tomorrow. I've decided on the Ancient Orange, Cinnamon, and Clove Mead as my first batch.

It seems easy enough and I have all the proper equipment.

Just wanted to welcome myself!
Wecome Gurusan,
Glad to have you aboard. Good choice for your first mead. Always best to follow specific ingredients and directions on a proven recipe for the first time. It pretty well fail-safe unless something is changed. Its all natural and will give you some confidence and an idea how simple mead can be to make. Hopefully, it will encourage you to learn more so you can build your own recipes. The recipe, equipment and procedure is made to be simple but is a bit unorthodox so it is a good idea to get your hands on a book like "the Compleat MeadMaker" by Ken Schramm to gain a better understanding of the process and effects of ingredients before experimenting on your own. Again, good to have you aboard. Best wishes for success in your new hobby.
Joe

Pewter_of_Deodar

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 23, 2004
Cedar Rapids, IA
Gurusan,

I'd second Joe's recommendation about The Compleat Meadmaker. It is both a learning guide for the beginner as well as a reference book for the old pro. You will eventually want to have it in your meadmaking library so I'd encourage you to get it for yourself for Christmas.

Merry CHristmas,
Pewter

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns