• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mead trading post

Barrel Char Wood Products

Erik_the_Red

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Im sure some of you have met each other in person at the fairs and such, and even sampled each others nectar,...

I wrote this in a previous post and was curious do any of you trade product?

Im new at making mead and I have tasted comercl. mead and currently bubbling away at 40gal. or so....

what does finished product taste like?????

Please, ALL send 1 bottle ;D ;D

Tsuchi

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 28, 2004
www.earthworks-design.com
LOL...
I'd love the idea of swaping once my first batch is properly aged though I doubt the "ever friendly" customs agents would take kindly to ANY Beverages of the home brewed type being shipped over the magic line that is the border. It'd aslo be kinda cool to do sort of a christmas trade... draw lots/exchange free-for-all But again, oh god the technicalties would probably kibosh the whole plan before it had time to trip over its own feet.

David Baldwin

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 29, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI
It's a great idea and I wish we could openly and systematically trade the fruits of our hobby, but we want to be careful not to promote any illegal activity.

Unless the United States Supreme Court has as of this month made some substantive decision, it is in fact illegal to ship directly to many states.

Check out your specific state laws regarding shipment.

I'm saying that I condone or condemn the practice of private individuals shipping mead to eachother. Just understand that it may violate some state laws, and is done at some perile.

I'll post a link to state-by-state laws in the "Favorite Links" section of this forum.

David

zweitracht

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 14, 2004
Erik_the_Red said:
Im sure some of you have met each other in person at the fairs and such, and even sampled each others nectar,...

I wrote this in a previous post and was curious do any of you trade product?

Im new at making mead and I have tasted comercl. mead and currently bubbling away at 40gal. or so....

what does finished product taste like?????

Please, ALL send 1 bottle ;D ;D

I'm in the same boat you are here -- I've never tasted anyone else's
homebrew, but I've got a closet-full in action. If I'd actually had the
pleasure, I might know what I'm shooting for. Granted, there's some
fun to the hit-or-miss discovery that is uneducated experimentation.

Is it legit to drag bottles of homebrew across otherwise draconian
state lines if you hand-deliver them? Is it legit to trade say .. bottles
of finished product for the materials to make more? If I could
find someone nearby and trade a gallon of clover honey for a gallon of
finished product, it seems like a win-win situation all around.

It seems to me that though there are plenty of beer-brewing clubs,
there aren't really enough mead-making clubs. Maybe what we need
is the equivalent of the Tristero Anarchist Postal System? Our
currency could be honey.

scottlind

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 14, 2004
zweitracht said:
Granted, there's some
fun to the hit-or-miss discovery that is uneducated experimentation.

Even though I've had commercial mead I dont want to duplicate it exactly... but nice to get a general idea, like you said, better knowledge of what I'd like to shoot for.

Better yet how 'bout a recipe with a sample.

hmm....? too sweet next sample please ;D ;D

Erik_the_Red

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2004
Maybe we should pay more attention to the site we are using.

I found this on the home page in the classifieds!

Mead swap (0)
Want to swap mead with someone elsewhere? Post your request/offer here (No monetary swaps allowed per federal regulations)

How about that??

V

Vicky Rowe

Ha! I knew it! Y'all never leave the forums......

Vicky - didja know there's 1200 pages of goodies out there on Gotmead?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns