• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Bee products possibly useful against cancer

Barrel Char Wood Products

Talon

NewBee
Registered Member
Jul 8, 2004
Without reading the article, bee pollen is great for lowering blood pressure, regulating blood glucose, maintaining a youthful vigor and in men helping prevent prostate cancer.

Ryszard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2004
Importance of mead in human diet is known (and used) in Europe for centuries. Bee bite supposes to be very healthy too (arthritis).

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Howdy Ryszard!

That's some interesting information about mead and bee bites, do you have any documentation that you can reference, or sources that I can research? It would be great to be able to make those assertions with some solid empirical evidence to that end.

The benefits of wine in one's diet are well known, it would be great to be able to make the same statements about mead as well.

Being one who is allergic to bees I would be interested in the "bee bite" data and how it is beneficial.

adTHANKSvance,

Oskaar

exmoor_cat

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 20, 2004
www.livejournal.com
I saw an article a while back about Chinese medicine using bee stings as a form of acupuncture. Thought that was a bit mean on the bees, due to their death afterwards, but Chinese medicine isn't known for its caring attitude towards animals.

What the article above does do is add to the scientific evidence for the remiedies. I personally am consciously moving over to herbal remedies as I do not like the high dependence rate on medicines that work by knocking everything else out as well as the illness in question.

Ryszard

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 21, 2004
Howdy Oskaar!
I don’t have any documentation right of hand but I will remember about your question.
However, bee venom was mentioned in article suggested by exmoor_cat (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/4063377.stm).

“And injecting bee venom into the tumour appeared to lead to it shrinking.”

beeboy

NewBee
Registered Member
Aug 29, 2004
Port Orange, Florida, USA
Oskaar, There are a couple of bee books out there that give medical uses of bees and bee products. Try the "ABC's XYZ's of Bee Culture" written by Root. It has anything you would ever need to know about bees and related subjects. Another one is "Beekeepers Don't Get Arthritis" or something simular.
Apparently the sting causes the body to release low level steriods in the area of the sting which can decrease the pain and swelling of arthritis. I know that when I get stung I'll jump around like I'm 20 years old again ;D. I also remember hearing about bee sting therapy being used to treat muscular distrophy, it was a experiment performed around ten years ago with mixed results. If I remember right it involved having the patient getting stung 30 or more times a day. It was a little too far out for the FDA and never approved.
Drink, Laugh and Love
Beeboy

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
Great information Beeboy!

Thanks for the references and the information, I appreciate your effort.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns