Thread: What to do with this honey?

1. Default What to do with this honey?

As a gift, I got some honey from Poland. It has a very stong taste - very unique and very delicious. Of course, I'd like to make a mead with it. We have about 20 oz of it. Any thoughts on the following:

1. Is that enough for a 1 gallon batch, or should I add some clover honey? I dont want to water it down, so to speak, but I dont want to make it too thin either.

2. I dont usually pasteurize, but this stuff has got to be loaded with all kinds of extras. I dont want to drive off any flavors/aromas, but I also dont want funky stuff to grow in it. Is a healthy yeast starter enough, or should I play it safe and heat it up?

Default Re: What to do with this honey?

1. Nope
    2. N/A with 1st answer.

Eat it for honey and enjoy unless you want to make a one liter bottle of sweet mead, in which case use 1/2 pack of D47 or 71B.

Joe

3. Default Re: What to do with this honey?

I'm not sure if I have the strength to resist making a mead with it Maybe a half gallon batch?

If you blend it with more honey, then yeah, you'll have enough or add fruit to it...

5. Default Re: What to do with this honey?

Charlie!
    I think you have enough honey for 2 liters of dry mead.
    I wouldn’t mix it with a different honey. “It has a very strong taste - very unique and very delicious.” Why should you change it? If you add some Polish made syrup (not juice), you be able to make “czwÓrniak” – Polish mead. What about raspberry or black currant?
    With syrup mead wont be dry at all.
    If you need recipe for Polish style mead, I can sand you one.

I am making two meads with this proportion of honey and water.
    One of these meads is Jmatioli’s Ancient Orange Cinnamon & Clove.
    I hope Joe won’t get a hart attack…
    I own him explanation. This fermentation is going on for 23 days so far.
    I am still collecting data. I believe it is going to be very delicious mead.
    Enjoy your mead!

Ryszard

Hey Charlie,

I think just eating the honey is your best bet. If you're going to make mead with it as the others have suggested you'll just end up adding things to it and diluting the unique flavor you're enjoying.

The whole idea of the honey is that it is unique, why water it down and drown out it's full character when you can enjoy it in it's natural state. Wait for that 1 gallon gift bucket and then make a mead from it.

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?