Thread: Which yeast?

1. Default Which yeast?

Which yeast do you use for your melomels? Does the yeast really have that big of an effect on the taste later on?

Default Re: Which yeast?

I like Red Star Montrachet. People will debate with you all day about which yeat to use or not use. Different yeasts definately impart different flavor characteristcs to the final product.

3. Default Re: Which yeast?

I use the lalvin yeast line myself, D-47 seems to do nicely on melomels so far, still experimenting with others, so i can't say it is the best, ask me in a year couple years

4. Default Re: Which yeast?

www.wyeastlab.com has a good description of their various yeasts. I used 3277 Assmannhausen yeast recently for a blackberry melomel. The results were very good, but I don't know how much is attributable to the yeast I used.

I'd be curious to hear what results others have gotten from the various yeasts offered. Thanks. :P

Default Re: Which yeast?

K1V-1116 is a great yeast from Lalvin. It is very fast and will stop consistantly at about 12% alcohol so you can control residual sweetness by the amount of honey at start without excessive alcohol content. 2 1/2 lbs honey per gal will finish out at semi-sweet between 1.006 to 1.009