• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Mulled Wine

Barrel Char Wood Products

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
This is really good -- one 750 ml bottle each of dry red wine and tawney port, 1/2 cup or maybe a full cup of apricot brandy. Add cardamon, cinnamon sticks, cloves, 1/2 cup chopped almonds, 1/2 cup or more of raisins. Let all this stuff simmer in a crock pot for a few hours. Strain through cheesecloth and serve hot.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Jmattioli said:
It's about time you let loose of some of your great recipes Dan. Expecting more!
Joe

For other readers -- Joe has been patiently prodding me to post recipes, both on back channels and in person. I have to confess to some personal failings here. I don't work with recipes. I kind of get an idea of what kind of mead I'd like to make, do a little reading, add a little of this and that, and then have to figure out how to set it down after it's done.

Joe showed me his personal diary of mead recipes at the Boulder Meadfest and it was embarrasing. Everything was not only well organized and well documented, it was in a format that could easily be duplicated again and again. I have my favorites, but I have to hack my way back to them. In my case, hindsight precedes foresight.

I'll try and make up for my short comings!

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
A Crock Pot - now there is a great idea.

I've been using a double boiler pot and having to stir to stop burning. The legs get tired after a while.

More than just a recipe ;)

V

Vicky Rowe

I love using crock pots for mulled wine. I used to provide a full one at all my parties, (along with 151-soaked marachino cherries for the brave at heart). It was always a big hit.

Dan McFeeley

Lifetime Patron
Lifetime GotMead Patron
Oct 10, 2003
Illinois
Vicky Rowe said:
I love using crock pots for mulled wine. I used to provide a full one at all my parties, (along with 151-soaked marachino cherries for the brave at heart). It was always a big hit.

Ooh -- were these cherries simmering along with the mulled wine? Both the wine and cherries sound *really* good.

V

Vicky Rowe

Well, LOL, the cherries would get pickled in Bacardi 151 for days or weeks before the party, and then we'd spear a bunch on toothpicks beforehand. Guests were greeted with a cherry-onna-stick, which was lit, for a Flaming Cherry. It was a great conversation starter......<grin>

Of course, that was back in the day when I also had trash-can parties.....BYOL to pour into the trash can half-full of liquor-soaked fruit and fruit juice.........and I would take away keys when people arrived, and only return them if they managed to somehow stay sober.....

Vicky - not that young (or resiliant) any more

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns