• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

More Yeast?

Barrel Char Wood Products

Skinner

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2004
Hi everyone,

I need to know if I should add some more yeast to my wort, I used the small package that came with my kit, but the ammount given does not seem supplimentary for 5 gallons,
any advice?

thanks

P.S: This is my first beer, still learning.

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Do a search on making yeast starters.

That way your yeast is healthy and active and you have lots of yeasties.

It is on the forum here somewhere, so will avoid re-coverinig the same info.

Skinner

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2004
I already made and added the yeast starter I was just wondering if I should need to add more yeast?,

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
One packet of yeast is perfectly fine for a 5 gallon batch. As long as your wort was properly cooled before you added the yeast, they should begin multiplying very rapidly and you should start to see signs of fermentation very soon. The best thing you can do for your beer right now is to just keep it under airlock and away from light.

Skinner

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 21, 2004
Thanks JoeM

I have been seeing signs of fermentation, my airlock was bubling rapidly a few days ago, but it is the 4th day of fermentation now, and the bubbles have almost ceased, the airlock burps every 45 seconds or so.
is there anything I need to do, or is the slowing of fermentation ok.

Skinner

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns