• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Pear Cinnamon Clove Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
The motivation for this sweet dessert mead recipe is as follows:

My wife & I made a pear liqueur dessert, where the 10 pears were peeled and simmered/boiled in sugar, water, 2 cinnamon sticks, and 4 whole cloves until the pears were tender, then the pears were removed and the syrup and spices were simmered/boiled for another 15 minutes.

The syrup is wonderful (especially on ice cream ::) ), hence I am wondering, has anyone boiled a syrup that has the "desired flavour" that is then added to the must to provide the flavouring, instead of just putting the spices whole in the must to extract flavour during the ferment??

Proposed Recipe (1 gallon):

Boil peeled quartered pears in a cup of HONEY (rather than sugar), water to cover the pears, 2 cinnamon sticks & 4 whole cloves for 10 mins,
remove pears and add to carboy,
Boil syrup for another 15 mins (reduce the syrup a little), cool and strain the syrup,
Add strained syrup to the carboy
Add honey (3-1/2 lbs), water & yeast (& nutrient)

JamesB

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 6, 2003
Re: Pear Mead

I brewed up a pear mead last winter with highly favorable results :D. My recipe was 2 gallons honey, 1 gallon of pear juice concentrate, 12 gallons of water and a chablis yeast. After fermentation but before filtering, I added 1 oz. of pear flavor concentrate (from www.naturesflavors.com).

I'd be careful using any spices since the pear flavoring is so weak to begin with.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
As a matter of fact, JamesP, I have. Works extremely well. Took a Cyser this year and mixed up a cup hot water with my spices steeped in it. Kept trying different percentages of spices til I liked the taste of my spiced water (tea). Then I pitched it in my finished cyser and stirred. No surprises. It was exactly what I wanted. If it wasn't strong enough, I could have made up another but 1 cup to a gallon turned out just right. Let it age in a bit but the process is good. Your idea will work well.
Joe

JamesP

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Dec 3, 2003
Brisbane Australia
Joe,

the 1 cup to a gallon - was that guessing or experience?

Does this 1 cup/gal translate to most flavours, or do you change it depending on the strength of the flavour of the "tea"?

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
It was just a guess from the strength of my "tea". If your surup is stronger, which it probably is, try 2 or 4 oz, stir in well, then taste, then more if desired. No fast rules. Too many variables for that such as different honey tastes, amount, sweetness and balance of flavors. Just be conservative to start and keep good notes so next time you will have a better feel for it when repeating recipe.
Joe

exmoor_cat

NewBee
Registered Member
Oct 20, 2004
www.livejournal.com
I made a batch of this.
Just sampled it whilst it still has a week to go in the primary. I used nutmeg as an extra.

In my version, I used apple juice instead, but with pears and raisins as the fruit base.

And oh my goddess!!!!!!!

it's going to hit a min of 15 and probably 18% (GV26 yeast). I was on MSNM whilst sampling, describing it to a friend -
the aroma is that of pear, the alcohol is noticeable, with an initially sharp acidic taste of the apples that mellows through the pear and cinnamon to a fruity honey finish in the mouth without any cloying thickness.

This is the primary must with yeasties still in the suspension.

This cat has hit his nectar mainstay. I might experiment with EC1118 yeast to see if the effects change, then go for a five gallon barrel.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns