• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

natural cyser

Barrel Char Wood Products

beckett

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2004
while traveling for thanksgiving i managed to find a orchard that sells cider that has not been pasteurized or perserved by chemicals. that jugs even has a nice sticker warning about the dangers of consuming unpasteurized products. i bought myself four gallons for fermenting (and a half gallon for drinking) and upon getting home got a hydrometer reading of 1.060. i put the four gallons into a primary, added three pounds of wildflower honey and put it into a chilly closet. i did not heat the cider, add sulfites nor pitch yeast. my understanding is that there should be some amount of wild yeast in alive the cider which will start to ferment. the airlock has started bubbling. today i saw about one bubble every fifteen seconds. i am hoping this will ferment all the way to dry but not sure of the tolerance of wild yeasts and such. so anyone every ferment cyser without pitching yeast?

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Ken Schramm is his book did the same thing and was very successful but does not recommend it as it can be unpredictable. His turned out fine. Thats what they did in the old days but you can get more consistantly good batches by using more controlled modern methods and yeasts.
Sounds like you were a litlle light on the honey and it will be a dry cyser. 3 lbs in 5 gallons will only add 24 points to the gravity. Good for a strong Cider but a little light for Cyser.
Joe

ScottS

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 12, 2003
www.slezakfarms.com
Yeah, wild yeast quality can vary hugely by location. It is carried in the apple skins. I've tried it side by side with commerical yeast, and I've found that my raw cider supplier's yeast is not very good.

Try it and see what happens. It might be great, it might be nasty. I've heard that naturally fermented cider can be wonderful, you just have to find the right culture.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
I've done it with decent results...its a craps shoot though, anything could happen.

beckett

NewBee
Registered Member
Sep 14, 2004
yeah i was trying to keep the o.g. low. i hoped to emphasis the cider more than the honey and to end up with something pretty dry.

i figured i would try this as a test cause the ideas of all natural fermentation intrigued me. hopefully the cider came with good tasting yeast.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns