• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Anise Mead

Barrel Char Wood Products

Whteknght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2004
I want to start an Anise (aka Black liquorice) mead. I was wondering if anyone has tried this, and what amounts of Anise should be used per gallon? Does anyone have any helpful hints?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I'd say to start off very light with whatever flavoring you're going to use with the mead batch, and probably work from the secondary forward. Anisette can be really overwhelming when there is a lot of it in the mix.

I'd consider using some oak chips to help balance that very aromatic character given by that licorice flavor.

Start subtle and build is generally my approach.

Hope that helps,

Oskaar

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
I just started an Anice mead. I can't remember where I got the recipe but it calls for:

1 oz licorice root
1 oz anise seed
1 oz star anise

This is in a 5 gal. batch. If anyone wants the rest of the recipe let me know and I will post in the appropriate forum.

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
I would stick with an ounce or less of Star Anise pod or Anise seeds per five gallon batch.

You can always add more, but it's tough to take it back if it's over the top. Like I said before Anise is a strong flavor so be judicious in it's use.

Oskaar

Whteknght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2004
Thanks for the advise everyone. I am planning to do a 3 galon batch, so I will probably stick with about a 1/2 oz of Star anise to begin with. I noticed the mention of oak to help with the flavor, any other tips or spices to help pull the taste together?

Whteknght

NewBee
Registered Member
Jun 25, 2004
Actually, jab - if you wouldn't mind, I would appreciate taking a look at that anise mead recipe. I think it might help me get some ideas for this one.

jab

NewBee
Registered Member
Mar 15, 2004
radiofreeomaha.net
Sure. I did some research. I believe this recipe belongs to Matt Maples at Mead HQ.

12lb wildflower honey
1 oz licorice root
1 oz anise seed
1 oz star anise
Water to 5 gallons
.3 cup lemon juice (one third cup)
Cote Des Blanch yeast

Steep herbs in 2 gallons simmering water for 30 min. Take off heat, add honey, and let stand for 15 min.

Add enough water to make 5 gallons. Pitch when cool.

I seem to remember that you probably want to let this bulk age for 9-12 months. Unfortunately I just started my batch about 4 days ago so it will be a while before I can give you an update. I can say, however, it smelled damn good in the promary! Also note, it doesn't say when to add the lemon juice. I added it right before I pitched the yeast.

-jb

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns