• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Sanitation

Barrel Char Wood Products

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
Sanitation has been stressed in other areas, Sanitize and Rinse every piece of equipment im-mead-iately before use.

I sanitize with a strong Solution of Potassium-Metabisulfite (k-meta, 15-30 seconds of contact kills most micro organisms). I then rince out the k-meta with tap water and use the item. I make up 1 gallon water with 2 oz k-meta and store in a plastic jug. The solution is reusable, i make up a new batch about every other month, so each batch typically sanitizes 2-4 carbours, 2-4 primary buckets, and my tools (stirer, wine thief, laddle, siphon tube, racking cane, bottling wand) several times.

Racking example In Case you need the visual.

I pour the 1 gallon solution into the carboy, let it sit on the botom for 30 seconds, lay carbouy on side and slowly roll the carboy in stages allowing the k meta to sit for 20-30 seconds on the surface under water, about three circuits of this. I then Cover the opening with my hand and swirl the the carboy for 45 seconds to a minute. Pour soulution back into my k-meta jug, rinse the carboy with tap water, empty, set on floor.
Sterilize the racking cane and tube I have a 1 gallon glass Pickle that i use for this, Fill jar 2/3 of the way immerse items to be sterilized (Stoppers, Airlocks, Tubing) something long like the racking tube reqires special attention to the outside, siphoning K-meta and then water with it will get the inside of the tube and cane. I can get the top of my Racking tube in my Pickle jar, leaving about 4 inches in the middle i need to do by hand, YMMV

Hidalgo

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 25, 2004
I have Campden Tablets. Since they are made from Potassium-Metabisulfite, how many tablets will make up the base for the solution that you mention? You mention 2 oz. of k-meta and 1 gallon of water.

Thanks for all the advice. I hope I'm not sounding too redundant.

JoeM

NewBee
Registered Member
Jan 9, 2004
People dont stress sanitation enough!...you can use the best ingredients on earth but if your equiptment isnt sanitary you will end up with a carboy full of rotting swill. I use a solution of bleach and water for all my sanitation needs. it is a very common practice among homebrewers, works great, is real cheap, and you can always get your hands on some in a pinch at 3 am! i usually go with about a teaspoon per gallon which is probably way more than you need. let whatever is soaking sit for about 10 minutes, then rinse with either boiled water or tap depending on what it is. Things that will be in contact with unfermented must i take no chances and rinse with boiled water. when i'm bottling and have 60 bottles to wash i usually just throw my pressurized bottle washer on the tap.

ThistyViking

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 15, 2003
While i'm not disputing the effectiveness of JoeMs' methods I think they are more rigorous than actual requirements. Again YMMV depending you your tap water, Mine is filtered by an awfull lot of soil/rock before my well pumps it up to me. I've also had Tests done on it for all sorts of quality issues, none of which turned out to be a problem.

As far as how many camden tablets to create the sanitizer... I really can't say. I buy it in powdered bulk, and use a litttle 2oz jar that used to have some in it from the brewshop. Bulk being a relative term, i think i bought 1 pound for the price of 3 or 4 2oz bottles. I want to say .67 grams per gallon? but that seems small, going to check .... yes. .67 g/gal to kill wild yeast, doesn't give the PPM though.
100 ppm = 1/2 tsp per 5 gallons

1 gallon sanitizer
2 oz (56.7 grams) ~ 1/4 cup ~ 60 ml

5 gallon must 1 tablet per gallon
1/2 Tsp = 2.5 ML = 5 Campden Tablets

If I am understanding correctly, about 120 campden tablets for 1 gallon of sanitizer

Working from other side. (Assuming Camden Tablet = powder strength)
If .67g(powder) = 1 campden tablet 56.7/.67 then 2oz = 87 tablets....

so between 87-120 tablets depending on guess methods chosen.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns