Thread: Nutmeg

1. Default Nutmeg

anyone used it??

Default Re: Nutmeg

Yes. And its strong. What exactly did u want to know?
    Joe

3. Default Re: Nutmeg

Sort of an offshoot on the cinnamon and clove thing. I've seen all three used before, and I've used it in krupnik, just wondering how it is effective and how much to use without turning your mead into liquid gunpowder!

Default Re: Nutmeg

Nutmeg is a very good option even in the ancient orange cinnamon and clove mead. But it only takes a pinch. When it is kept subtle it is a great additive and adds something that is hard to put your hand on. However, in my opinion it is one of those "too much of a good thing spoils the mead thing." So be careful as you would with clove.
    Joe

5. Default Re: Nutmeg

I just prepared a variation of the pear cinnamon and clove mead, by adding a smidgeon of nutmeg. I've had the Too Much scenario with cookies before. Also I couldn't find pear juice for lvoe nor money today, so went for apple. The must was gorgeous and tempting just to drink as a mulled winter drink on it's own. And I had a devil of a time trying not to eat too many of the pears after simmering - it's one of my favourite English puddings with custard!!!!!

6. Default Re: Nutmeg

Are folks using the whole nutmeg or the pre-ground/dried in a packet stuff.

The whole nutmegs look very interesting, not sure how strong they would be if you dropped a whole one into the carboy??

Cheers,
    Peter