• PATRONS: Did you know we've a chat function for you now? Look to the bottom of the screen, you can chat, set up rooms, talk to each other individually or in groups! Click 'Chat' at the right side of the chat window to open the chat up.
  • Love Gotmead and want to see it grow? Then consider supporting the site and becoming a Patron! If you're logged in, click on your username to the right of the menu to see how as little as $30/year can get you access to the patron areas and the patron Facebook group and to support Gotmead!
  • We now have a Patron-exclusive Facebook group! Patrons my join at The Gotmead Patron Group. You MUST answer the questions, providing your Patron membership, when you request to join so I can verify your Patron membership. If the questions aren't answered, the request will be turned down.

Kick starting yeast

Barrel Char Wood Products

uvgot2mr

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 26, 2004
I re-pitched a 1 year old batch of sweet mead to bring the SG and sweetness down using a starter made up of 2 x RS Cote des Blanc as suggested in this forum. The starter took off in no time. I pitched into my batch at high Kreusen and although there is some activity after 10 days, the mead has not really "taken off". I keep a heating blanket around my carboy to maintain a 72 - 75 degree temperature. OG:1.140 Current SG is 1.070. I would like it to "dry out" around 1.020.

Would it be recommended to add some more yeast nutrient to the batch? Any other recommendations?

I really appreciate the insight.

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
Actually you are lucky it is going as well as it is. Cotes de blancs is a slow fermenting yeast and at 70 points down already it is difficult to restart. Many of the yeasts cells die out early because your alcohol content was already 9 % to start. You will be lucky to get it down to the 1.030 to 1.040 range. And, it will take some time to do so. Your starting gravity was too high for that yeast in the first place. You might have to pitch a more agreesive yeast later like K1V or EC-1118 and stop it where you want it.

Joe

uvgot2mr

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 26, 2004
Thanks Joe.

Is it too late to pitch a more aggressive yeast say Premier Cuvee? If not, how would you recommend I move through the process?

Oskaar

Got Mead Partner
Administrator
Dec 26, 2004
The OC
It's not too late yet, but it would be a good idea to check your gravity before you pitch again.

Joe's recommendations of either the K1V or the EC are both good ones. I think the K1V would be good because it does have a very high competitive factor, and is capable of surviving a number of difficult conditions, such as low nutrient musts and high levels of SO2 or sugar. K1V-1116 meads have very low volatile acidity, H2S and foam production.

Cheers,

Oskaar

Jmattioli

Lifetime GotMead Patron
uvgot2mr said:
Thanks Joe.

Is it too late to pitch a more aggressive yeast say Premier Cuvee? If not, how would you recommend I move through the process?
No, its not too late but since you already pitched, just let it finish out and see where it ends up at. Expect it to normally be slow but you could get lucky and it finish with a sweetness that is high but acceptable. Cotes does a good job of bringing out fruit and floral notes of honey. If it is not acceptable, then repitch with a more agressive yeast and cold stabilize and treat with Sorbate and Sulfite to stop. In future batches with Cotes start at no more than 1.130 as a general rule. That's my recommendation for now.
Joe

uvgot2mr

NewBee
Registered Member
Nov 26, 2004
Thanks.

All information is most helpful. I really appreciate your insights.

Barrel Char Wood Products

Viking Brew Vessels - Authentic Drinking Horns