Thread: My house is too cold!

1. Default My house is too cold!

My wife is comfortable, but I'm freezing. Of course, its not me that I'm worried about, its the mead. Its temperature is 66 degrees. Is fermentation going to be sluggish, or would higher temps produce off flavors?

Default Re: My house is too cold!

It will depend on the optimal temperature range for the particular strand of yeast that you pitched.

66 might slow the fermentation a bit, but knowing your yeast strain and the optimal temps will tell you better what to expect.

David Baldwin
    Michigan Meadery LLC

www.michiganmeadery.com

3. Default Re: My house is too cold!

As a rule, I do all of my fermentation in the basement. I don't notice a real slow down until it gets to about 60. It's 58 now, and I have to bring everything upstairs for the primary ferment. Annoying, but I can't let the weather get in the way of brewing.

Same here Scott.

We have some "cold" weather here in So Cal and my mead room is about 58 degrees F. I keep my carboys wrapped in old towels and check the temp there which has been staying at a steady 60 degrees F.

If it drops below, onto the moveable dollys and into the house they go.

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Quote Originally Posted by CosmicCharlie
    My wife is comfortable, but I'm freezing. Of course, its not me that I'm worried about, its the mead. Its temperature is 66 degrees. Is fermentation going to be sluggish, or would higher temps produce off flavors?
    Sluggish No.
    As long as temperature is kept within the range specified for your yeast, a higher temp will not produce off flavors.
    Joe

6. Default Re: My house is too cold!

Y'all aren't helping. I want to be able to say to my wife, "But the anonymous posters from the internet said we need to turn the heat up."

Just kidding

I've found that a bottle of mead, a back rub and some candles grease the skids when I want something from a ladyfriend (never been married, still looking, not bitter . . . yet) Everythink else failing, I will . . . gulp . . . even attend a "chick-flick" and act interested!

Cheers,

Oskaar
    Is it tasty . . . precious?

Easy! You're getting close to having your man card revoked! Just don't admit you liked the chick-flicks....